Steroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Stopped taking steroids last week after being on them for most of this year through having flare ups one after the other doc wanted to see me when I was having flare up couldn't get to see him saw another doc who said I have a virus felt so breathless had to leave work ,I think it's with coming off steroids anyone had anything similar

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Suddenly ceasing that type of steroid can be life threatening. If you have been on them for some time you have to slowly titrate down. And then you have to ensure that your adrenal glands are still able to produce cortisol. With an abrupt halt, your body may be unable to produce this life essential hormone, cortisol. You could then go into what is called an adrenal crisis. Long term use of steroids like prednisone can result in lifelong dependence. Basically, without them you die.

• Posted

Wow never knew that I wonder why then doc said it was ok I think I'll change my doc thanks phil

• Posted

Hi to be honest if you have done it under a doctors instructions it should be fine.  I would go with what the doctor says rather than any replies you get on here.  If you are worried though I would go back and have a chat.  x
    • Posted

Spot on Phil you must go about it the right way like you say you can die if you don't 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.