Steroids and swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

Currently on quite a high dose of predisolone which I will gradually come off but the swelling has started. Now I'm feeling more human as my flare up is getting under control my appetite has gone through the roof on them as well. I know some swelling is inevitable but is there anyway of reducing it? or foods that can contribute or help with the swelling as I really have that classic moon face going on. Also any foods that aren't going to aggravate my colitis but keep my appetite at bay? 

I drop loads of weight when I flare then pile loads on when I come out of it, my last flare I put on 2st 5 I don't want that to happen again!!!! Unfortunately my energy levels are still extremely low so exercise is also tough.

Any ideas much appreciated as really not feeling good about myself, I know in the great scheme of things this sounds quite shallow and whiney and the main thing is being well, but I guess it's easier to be optimistic when you feel good about yourself.

Thank you 

Elaine 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine

You have my sympathy, I refuse steroid for that reason, I have been up and down with weight for over 20 years with the things! The only thing to try is a lower calorie diet while you are on them, not a daft starve yourself obviously, you need the nutrition, but try small portions about 6 times a day instead of waiting until you are starving to eat, if you snack on healthy things, like roast chicken, tins tuna, decent roast ham, eggs, plain crackers, low fat yoghurt etc you won't go far wrong as it will come off eventually and it will be easier if it wasn't gained by high fat things, easier said than done I know! I had little pots of jelly when I was in hospital, it was sweet not fatty and easy to digest. Drink plenty of water too. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Steph

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels like this. I've considered refusing but they really do work wonders with getting my flares under control. I've been trying to stick to the three meals a day maybe I'll give little and often a go instead. Never thought of jelly, good idea to give my sweet tooth kick. Just wish I could eat more fruit and veg but it's just a big no no for me when I'm bad.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated =) 

• Posted

Just finished a five week course of this 2 weeks ago and yes, I ate like there was no tomorrow.

Im maybe not helping myself but two weeks in was party time, ate and drank like a king, slowed down a bit but still enjoying a few glasses of vino and eating a few no no's though.

I

• Posted

Haha certainly not helping yourself. I'm 5 weeks in still 6 to go!!!! Can't drink at the mo though so that's one less temptation lol
  • Posted

Hi again

They certainly do control a flare and I wouldn't advise anyone not to take them, I should have mentioned I have lots of immune system problems now, that's why I refuse them, but I didn't 20 years ago when they only knew about UC, now I have joint problems so the extra weight isn't worth it to me. As for exercise as long as you keep moving, a gentle walk or swim you can always step it up when you feel better. I got bowel cancer eventually so like you too much fruit and veg is a no no, not ideal when you want to lose weight but I find mashing a banana on toast is digestible, if you like them that is!

• Posted

Hi Elaine the steroid swelling always settled with me gradually a couple of weeks after stopping them & my skin returned to normal texture (it was so smooth while on them!) soothing foods i find especially while in flare but easy to digest & fill  a whole when you dont have an appetite & need to eat, or equally on steroids & super hungry are shaken udder banana milkshake from tesco's(thick semi skimmed milkshake made with banana pulp) or little pots of rice pudding, or onken probiotic yoghurt with a little granola on top for crunch, or plain mcvities hob nobs & a glass of milk (dip the hobnobs). i find all these soothing & non irritating "little" meals or snacks . when i've been on steroids i've only put on 3 or 4 pounds with these foods, & when i've been in flare, i've only lost 3-5pounds with these foods. i know how you feel the tiredness & lack of energy really drags you down & you miss out on so much. good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.