Steroids causing stomach and chest pain after 2 days? (30mg tablets plus nasal spray)

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been prescribed 30mg of prednisone and a steroid nasal spray, but after only two days of taking them I have had very sharp pains in my chest and stomach. I also take Bisoprolol and Mirtazapine every day, and Mefenamic Acid during my period. Has anyone been in the same boat, and knows how to manage these side effects? 

Thanks! smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The  Mefenamic Acid is an NSAID which can irritate the stomach, you might not actually need to take it while you are on the Pred.  Do you have an enteric coated version of the Pred because that will help to protect your stomach.

But, as Karen says, do go back to your doctor & discuss this with him.

I have been taking steroids for a few years & recently had to increase the dose but found that I cannot tolerate it because of abdo pain.  I have dropped to 5mg now & my abdomen feels better.  You don't want a gastric bleed Shannon, go & see your doctor again.

Good luck.

• Posted

It isn't advisable to take pred and an NSAID together. Both can cause stomach irritation and together that risk is increased. You are also on a pretty high dose of pred and that often causes stomach problems. Were you told to take "stomach protection" medication? Most doctors prescribe omeprazole or something similar although ranitidine (Zantac) works as well with fewer side effects. Always take pred with food - and taking it in the middle of a meal, i.e. eat half, take the pred, eat the rest, may help as well. Others find eating yoghurt seems to help.

• Posted

Hi, 

I am sorry if this is not a correct board, but if someone can help me i will really appreciate. 

I came in north jersey some time ago, and the humidity got me on my knees. My nose is swollen, runny, and i got hooked up on nose decongestant too. 

I was given 5 day shhort course of prednisone last month, since the my condition was bad, i couldnt breathe, couldnt sleep. Now after one month the symtpms are back again, and it is suggested to me to take short course of prednosine again. 

Can someone please tell me if it is safe to take corticosteroid courses that close to each other? 

Thank you

• Posted

Many of us take it on a permanent basis so repeated short courses isn't a problem. If you need to take it repeatedly over a long period of time then you may need monitoring for bone density - and probably a discussion with an expert to seek a cause rather than just repeated medication to deal with symptoms from a GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.