Steroids with a Tens Pen.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've bought myself a tens pen to give me some relief from my painful, possibly frozen, shoulder, and noticed in the instructions it says not to use it if you are taking steroids without consulting your doctor. So I'm consulting here first! Anyone? I'm on 7.5 mg of Pred at the moment.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't find anything online - I wonder why. Unless they are just covering their backs. Or maybe they are concerned about damage to the skin with the electrodes.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen, I suppose it could be because of damage to thinning skin. my skin is in pretty good condition. There are people who have had steroid injections in the shoulder who recommend the pens pen for pain, so I think I will give it a go. I don't think it is as powerful as the Tens machines which have 2 electrodes.

• Posted

TENS was trialed in an operation injecting steroids in the spine to see if it replaced traditional pain relief. So it can't be THAT bad used with steroids!!!

• Posted

I found this. Those who have had a pacemaker inserted, those who suffer from heart arrhythmia, expecting mothers, and patients with epilepsy. Never apply to an open wound. Further care should be taken by patients who are currently taking steroids or anticoagulants.

• Posted

Thanks Ptolemy, that's more or less what it says on the instructions. the guy on the phone who took my order told me about the other things but didn't mention steroids. He probably would have if there have been severe reactions. I will give it a go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.