Stevia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone take STEVIA in stead of sweeteners such as splendid, Hempstead, and mandrel and have they found it good

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes and I thought it was absolutely disgusting! I still have the [extremely expensive!] jar cluttering up my kitchen cpboard. I'm afraid if I want sweetener on my mornig grapefruit I use Canderel or Morrisons own brand of similar. I don't use that for cooking though.i know Canderel is meant to be bad for you but it doesn't have an after taste so I use it. I'm not sure why it is bad though.
    • Posted

I do like Morrison's own brand too, are you on stations too, I used to have grapefruit till the diabetic pointed out that simvastatin and grapefruit don't mix, the grapefruit changes how stations work. I am on 2 metformin twice a day and 1 at lunch, 2 glicazide twice daily and a stimulating once a day, plus simvastatin and quinine for night cramps, yes I rattle lol
    • Posted

No, no statin for me thanks!   I was also offered a calcium channel blocker for hypertension and luckily had done my homework and discovered that they were incompatible with grapefruit. So they gave me Ramipril [changed to Losartan because of the cough] . I start every day with a grapefruit and have done for as long as I can remember - there is no way i would wish to change that.

But I'm not diabetic.

• Posted

Tried it once in a cake, tasted the same as the others to me. 

I don't take sweetener in anything really, but if I have a slice of cake the cake needs to be made using them. 

• Posted

I find that stevia is OK but there is still an aftertaste that I find off putting.  I have only used it in cakes if I am desperate!  I make a wholemeal bran muffin with it.  Otherwise I do without or on porridge I use agave syrup which is low GI 
  • Posted

No I have not tried it because it is too expensive however my doctor told me to use canderel sweetners which I have found very good with no after taste and I use the granulated canderel for all my baking using spoon for spoon replacement to sugar. They also do a crunchy type that you can use on cerels strawberries etc. Very often they have it on special offers so that is the time to stock up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.