Stich like pain under right ribs every night.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

in short I've had pain under my right ribs in my upper right abdomen for a few months that only happens at night. I've seen 4 different doctors and none seem concerned to even send me for tests etc.

It often wakes me up and feels like a stich. Once I get up and walk around it goes and I am fully functional during the day. I often go for 10 mile runs and it has never got close to keeping me off work. Just can be a little tires at times due to lack of sleep.

I recently had blood tests and all was fine,

I personally think it's my gallstones, but all doctors think it's muscle related.

I'm do have Health Anxiety and I do get acid reflux at night also, but I know how to beat this and don't eat after 6.

Just looking for some answers as it really doesn't help with the anxiety.

Thanks,

Jamie.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

If you're worried you should go back to the doctor but in my experience nothing eases gallbladder pain, you have to ride it out and its unbearable so perhaps not what you are dealing with. Reflux maybe?

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I have been multiple times, they just tell me not to worry and that I'm a fit healthy young man (I'm 42).

Wasn't sure if when my gallbladder moves at night it jams up with stones.

3 of the doctors have examined my abdominal area and when they push down etc no pain at all.

Thanks.

• Posted

If this is gallbladder (gallstones) it should be worse after you have eaten.

Try cutting down on fatty foods and see if this helps.

It does not sound like gallbladder to me but I am not a medical professional.

Hope this settles down and you get some answers.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

Sorry you're going through this.  Have you been seeing gastroenterologists?  There are two conditions you might want to research on line to see if the symptoms are the same as yours.  They are median arcuate ligament syndrome and sphincter of oddi.  These can cause similar pain to gall stones. There are surgeries that can be performed to help with these conditions.  

However, at least you should have been given an ultrasound or CT scan to investigate your pain further.  Was a liver panel among the blood tests that you had?

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, I'll take a good look at those ones.

I had a full blood count and all was spot on with super low cholesterol. I feel good in myself and never been off work or unwell with it. It seems to flare up after a few hours of sleep. Just looking for answers!

Literally once I've done my teeth and had a shower the discomfort is gone. Feels just like a stich.

Thanks.

• Posted

You're welcome.  If you only had a CBC, they did not do a liver panel on you, which would have shown elevated enzymes if either your liver or pancreas are stressed.

Point being that if you appear to have overall good health with health anxiety, some doctors may not take your concerns seriously, especially if you appear to be in better physical shape than they are! smile 

Best of luck!  

• Posted

Thanks again Lynda, my problem is I go from zero to cancer in next to no time. My doctors have explained that for the amount of time I've had the discomfort that I would be losing weight, the pain would be constant, not just at night and I would not be able to run 10 miles every other day and setting personal bests without some sort of pain if it was cancer.

I tend to be relieved by this and leave the room feeling reassured and then don't get to the bottom of what's causing the pain. then that night it's back again. Very had to find things like you pointed out without the worst case scenario popping up when searching.

• Posted

Hi, Jamie,

I know where you're coming from!  I got diagnosed with cancer this year and had surgery.  I'm fine now, but that double punch of pain and fear is horrible.

Still, I'm sure you're all right!  Please accept my Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, I'm glad to hear you're ok now and over the worst, can I ask where the cancer was?

• Posted

Sure, I don't mind at all.  I had uterine cancer. Started to have symptoms in April, got diagnosed in July with surgery 9 days afterwards. After surgery, I was staged at 1a, so no radiation or chemo indicated. I get monitored for the first year every quarter--I go see my doctor.  Next year, I think every 6 months.  

• Posted

Well I'm glad they found it so early and it's all looking good for you.

I know the chance of me having anything like cancer at my age is quite rare and I'm sure I would have noticed some other symptoms by now, just frustrating and need reassuring at times.

• Posted

My "pain" symptoms was more of a discomfort that was gone in the morning and progressed throughout the day, not just after I ate. A shower definitely helped me as it made the discomfort mostly go away at the end of the night. I had an overactive gallbladder - no stones, had it taken out a few months ago and I'm doing great.

• Posted

My 'pain' is also only a discomfort, my gallstones have been confirmed on scan and full Cts and bloods are all clear. Mine is how you describe, discomfort under the rib. I do think certain foods trigger it, as its gone again now I have removed things out of my diet and eating very limted, as it also causes awful reflux. However it lasts all day long and doesnt get worse straight after food and wouldnt of connected it to food if I hadnt already removed so much to realise and then ate a little over xmas and it returned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.