Sticking plaster for the brain - what about the body?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone t'is I,

Some will say who? Some may say, I wondered what happened to him? Some may even say so what! Whatever; it is good to be back, getting better and strong enough to rejoin you guys in this wonderful forum! It has (laugh if you wish) like being severed from Family.

Ok the title is a bit naff, but I couldn't think of anything else to express how I feel and how it is important to try and treat the body with respect when the mind may be going through melt down, for what ever reason.

As some will know I came here due to work related stress, having spent 6 years working for a communty based charity struggling to provide transport with little support. Don't get me wrong I had some good volunteer drivers, but there were more glory seeking parasites then angels, I had inept and inadequate management and trusteeship support. To continue from day to day I smoked, drank and therefore basically neglected my health until I hit meltdown. Sadly, a male trait.

The one saviing grace was I met Ann (now my Fiancee) who walked into my office as a volunteer 14 months previous and we had started dating a year later. She and my Dr (probably the best Dr in the world) eventually convinced me that I was ill and needed a "sticking plaster for the brain!" amongst other things (I love that phrase - puts everything into perspective, don't you think?). So, end of Nov 2014 I was signed unfit for work and started on 10mg of Cita rising over the months to 40mg wher I have levelled out. Mind you over the last 4 months it has been a roller coaster of physical medical problems. It started with teeth and gum problems which required me to see a consultant and have treatment at the local general hospital in June and ending (unrelated) in abdominal surgery 16 days ago! I am now recovering at home, but I have not felt this weak for as long as I can remember.

So, what about the body? Well, Cita has been looking after the mind and as some may recall I did, for my part, in my effort to aid my recovery change my lifestyle and diet. I stopped smoking and hardly drink, maybe the odd bottle of ale now and again. At the moment I am on two serious lots of antibiotics for 14 days post discharge and want to get better so, it is simple, no drink! Physically I cannot do anything more than lift cutlery or a cup of tea and until yesterday mentally I could not deal with anything really, the forum included. Today? Well, here I be!

Now that I have the energy to rejoin you guys I just wanted to say, we all must, if we can, play a part in our own recovery and this may mean, what appears at first, some drastic changes to life style and possibly diet. I do not believe my body could have saved my life recently if I had not started a full on healthier diet at the time I went ill last year. Easier said than done? Well, I have spent some time in a past life time (it feels) cooking in a few commercial kitchens so, when it came giving up meat I relished the challenge of eating well, ensuring we have the protiens we need, just not through meat and having an exiting varied diet. Nut roasts are so old school! Quorn (other meat free products are available) is absolutely amazing and unlike most soya based products contains no oestrogen imitating (natural) chemicals (worth reading up on that one ladies) that can cause health concerns. We still eat seafood for personal health reasons.

I can testify to you (and the surgeon and her team at the hospital) that having a healthier body did save my life!

Worth thinking about when you feel nothing else can help!

It is great to be back, it is great to be alive and I look forward to catching up with you (and you know who you are) who I was in regularly contact with prior to all this, as I am now back.

As always, keep reading, keep posting, keep asking, keep helping and keep in contact because, this forum is the best!

Regards (and lets sprinkle a little love in there too!),

David

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello David

Lovely to see you back, and a great post.  Didn't know you were having surgery .... hope you're healing well.

I love that phrase too 'sticking plaster for the brain' :-)  It certainly is.  People underestimate how much stress can seriously affect our lives and how it can lead to depression.  Everyone has their own personal limit to how much stress they can deal with, and some people seem to thrive on it!

So you're a veggie now?  I've been veggie since I was about 6 years old (no meat or fish).  I use Quorn 'chicken' pieces a lot - really tasty.  My veggie curry ....... mmmm nomnomnom.

Absolutely, having a healthy body is so important.  Food is our fuel, like putting petrol into a car to run ....... without the correct food our body will start to grumble.  Exercise too - just walking in the fresh air will do it.

Glad you're back (though if course none of us 'really' want to be here in first place ie illness) but it's good to talk.

K x

• Posted

Wellcome back David, I happened to PM you a month ago or so, given you have had a rough few months you sound in fine fettle, just shows what a strong chap you are, I'm in the process of changing meds from cit to sertraline, been on 20 mg's now for 8 months and seem to be stuck at a level, anyway glad your back

Regards Nick

• Posted

Hi Nick,

Belated thanks for the pm. It certainly has been the worst 3 months of my life, but I am finally on the mend - hopefully!

Without doubt not listening to my body and really taking care of myself meant it was inevitable that after the mind said WHOA! enough, the body crashed too!

Hope you and yours are well. Look forward to chatting more.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Welcome back David nice to hear from you again !! Nothing can break you mate !! 
  • Posted

Good to read your post David ,always enjoy your comments. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery.I am currently trying to eat better and definitely believe that a healthy body can help us all cope better with stress. I also go walking most mornings with friends and this is also great for physical and mental well being.Stay strong and keep posting!
    • Posted

Hi Felis,

We are what we eat, breathe, see, read, listen to and associate our selves with and once we can cast off the crap, it becomes so easy!

I found that with finally giving up smoking, even though I rolled only a few after work (never first thing) I was still a slave to it. Now my lungs, skin and mind are much better for not poisoning myself. I will never go back to it, why would I ever want to?

I have found that since casting off the trappings of this, going no where, modern lifestyle there is sooooooo much more to life itself! I am free, so free to enjoy everything that is good and not the small world of my previous existence.

Don't worry, I ain't gonna start preaching! I'm just enjoying life (painful as it still is after surgery! Violins!).

Keep readin, keep posting and we shall all help eachother!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Great to hear your positivity David, it inspires me! I am off walking with my friends tomorrow morning at 730 If I don't get up and get moving it is so easy to dose off to sleep again! (I'm a retired flight attendant) I find the citalopram makes me very tired and yawn a lot even though I've been back on cit now for a year! We walk for an hour and then spend time having a coffee or tea.im home by 9am and currently supervising my daughter as she studies for her finals, she now suffers with anxiety too so need to be strong and supportive for her. We are encouraging her to keep up hockey as she's a great goal keeper and team sport is good for her.Katecogs has done the same with her son exercise really helps and an essential part of my day .I am now working on healthy diet all one step at a time stuff! You are so right to be focussing on enjoying life and I just love to observe nature and the birds on my walks . Having said all this I have the medication to thank for being able to enjoy the simple pleasures again even though I went through hell with side effects when I went back on it for the second time maybe because I was 10 years older! Anyway David keep up the good work and as you say we will all support each other.
    • Posted

Hi Felia,

One of my Fiancee, Ann's neices is a pretty stressed out student who has just started Uni. In fact she has always worked so hard that you can see the stress in her face. She may get some relief from playing in a coulpe of orchestras, but sadly she also gets stressed at this sometimes! Basically, I feel we are allowing our children to be abused by a system that is programming them for a future of a kind of modern day slavery. I led a campaign in my home town 2 years ago to have the traffic speed reduced to 20 after a child was run over coming out of school. The powers that be have made a major through road between three schools, basically through the middle of what is a campus with no immediate safe crossing points or protective railings in strategic pplaces along the roads. It was an accident waiting to happen. I did not manage to get things changed even with public, town and district council support. This was crazy however, what was frightening was the fact the principal of one of the schools didn't want too much of a noise made as it could mean a decrease in the percentage of students wanting to go to his college where the accident victim studied!

Anyway, enjoy your walk in the morning something I am looking forward to once I regain the strength.

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.