Stiff and sore.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I cant understand it 15 months post TKR everything going great until a few days ago my knee has become sore i cant bend it to well hard to walk on im gutted to say the least .

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

"Hey, my computer program used to work great a few days ago and now it doesn't.  I don't understand it."

" What changes did you make to it since 'a few days ago'?"

Been in IT 47 years...you ALWAYS find the answer to the the guy's problem this way.  So...what did you do since "a few days ago" that would affect your knee?  Think hard because you definitely did something.  A little twist here...a little bump there...  Something caused this...think...

In the meantime...you know the rest/ice/elevate/anti-inflammatory drill...give it a few days.  Try some topical Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...GREAT stuff.  Even at 15-months, none of us are immune to inflaming the knee by overuse or physical injury.  Give it a little time.  If it's not better in a week, I'd see the doc.

• Posted

Hi Chico

Sorry just panic stations i can only think it is because im driving all day where i wasnt before

Thats the only thing i can put it down to manual car.

I havent bumped it or done anything else out of the ordinary.

• Posted

Yeah...clutching and braking all day driving...  That'll tweak it a bit.  There is no panic...just like "There is no spoon." - Neo, The Matrix.

• Posted

Hi chico

Just a quick update couple of days rest and it see s fine again

I think i need an automatic lol.

• Posted

You are telling my story! 18 months PKR I’ve been on here twice with same story “ why the swelling etc “ 

Well I’m fine now . My brain was going in a million ways thinking the worst . Bottom line I guess our new knees are not / will never be like our knee before it was bad . 

I overdid it even though I kept saying “ I only did this “ “ and would that make it swell ?” Well yes and yes . 

Still learning what I can and cannot do . My main issue seems to be lifting my grandkids abd walking around with them and carrying them up and downstairs that apparently puts too much strain on new knee .

Look back I’ll bet you’ll find something . 

I’ce , rest , elevate .

Debbie 

• Posted

No, the new knee will NEVER be the same as your original equipment and the surrounding muscles, skin, ligaments, etc. are all still subject to damage...just like your other knee...just like everyone else on the planet.  However, we all have to keep in mind that there are specific activities we must avoid to get the knee to last those 25+ years...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Over a year ago, we had a guy on here who told us he was resuming his favorite sport...mountain climbing...at 13-weeks post-op.  Never heard from him again.  Wonder if they ever found the body.  A metal detector would have helped.

• Posted

Thanks debbie

Like i said to chico i can only put it down to driving all day after 15 months im more often trying to help and advise people in here

But its nice to know the support is there when needed.

• Posted

YES Johnny agree ! And I for one am very glad that those of us who are out in the 15+ months still post when we have a issue/ concern .  Chico is right about the knee is not the same ever again .  Not that I wish anyone to have set backs but it’s helpful to know your not alone .

Take care !

Debbie 

• Posted

Well, I will be 14 months post TKR this month and I am very much aware of my knee!!! It often feels sore, feels like I have shin splints, takes me awhile to get going after I sit or get out of bed and then I am OK. One ES Tylenol helps when I need it. Slacked off on my exercises but bend, etc. is good. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a table in the dark (right at the level of the outer side of the TKR). I felt like I was going to buckle over with pain and felt nauseated from the pain......it got better after a few days.
    • Posted

Table...ouch!!!  We all talk about this whole thing taking a year an expect...suddenly...it's all over.  Doesn't work like that.  Things like stiffness, tight band feeling, soreness, clunking noises and more can last 18 months...or more.  It's not like you flip a switch and all of it is gone.  What happens is that you feel the new knee less and less over time.  Gotta keep up with the strengthening...takes the pressure off the joint and puts it back on the surrounding muscles where it belongs.  For ALL of us, this will be lifetime work.  Slack off and pay the price.  Make it part of your normal, daily routine.  Not good...not bad...just have to do it. 

At 21 months, I still feel some stiffness if I sit too long.  If I sit and concentrate on the knee, I feel it...so I don't do that.  Still have nerve tingles when I kneel on it so I use 4" foam indoors and padded tactical knee pads outside.  TKR veterans say that it goes away in time...we'll see.  Just relax...wait...don't relax...exercise!!!  That's the ticket!!!

• Posted

Great post! AND the great thing is these are such minor blips!

In the context of an active and mobile life, they are so worth having!

I have just started experimenting with hand drumming and have a great selection of bent leg moves which serve as exercises too! Problem is the unoperated one isn't quite up for it!😀😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.