Stiff ankle still with major pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I have been out of cast 09/27/18. I have been in pain since than and my ankle feels so stiff and it feels alien to me. Parts of my ankle where the plate and screws are dont feel like my skin!! I cant sleep and I cant wear my boot..its too heavy and it hurts. Due to the pain I have yet to bear weight on my ankle with the boot. I got one more week before starting PT. My nerves are driving me crazy. Ankle feels numb. Gosh. I miss my old self and desperate almost for some kind of relief.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had a different surgery, but much the same symptoms afterward. Talk to your surgeon about a different boot. I also found the heavy boot unbearable and used it only when going outside. I used a knee walker and elastic bandage inside and was very very careful not to fall. I spent most of my time in bed for two months before starting PT. That was a big mistake, It allowed my ankle to become very stiff and now I'm working hard to regain flexibility. \

I also waited a long time before bearing weight on my ankle because I would get a lot of pain a few hours later. That may have been a mistake as well.

Please get some more support from friends and family if you can. I bought a cheap wheelchair and it allowed people to take me out for walks and meals.

You will get better but it will be a test of endurance.

• Posted

I had a trimalleolar surgery on August 15th. This my second week out of cast. So I need to stop babying my foot and do some stretching would that help the stiffness.

• Posted

Hi

Just a brief backround on myself...i had foot & ankle surgery back in May for double ankle break and other broken bones in same foot, 78 days in cast.

Theres no easy way through this phase you are entering, regardless of how you approach it, the pain will be the same, only difference being, if you put it off you will suffer longer. I skipped the air cast boot phase and went straight into the pain phase of getting your foot on the ground / into house slipper / trainer...whatever, it needs done. Your foot / ankle will happily stay cast position for rest of your life, so you have to challenge it, tissues / muscles / tendons, it all needs stretching from its sleep, and it will be painful, but it does get better slowly. You will not notice any improvement at first, please persist, first you will notice the skin colour changing then the swelling will reduce but only after 2 / 3 weeks of movement and weight on your foot. The process is to get your foot down and walk a little, exercise a little, shout at if you want, then back to bed, elevate and ice then repeat / repeat / repeat everyday. This is a phase you have to go through and its not easy, but your not alone. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi there. I am out of cast and into boot. I started PT - and one thing do over and over is wiggle my toes.

Today the ortho said it was time to start bearing a bit of weight on my foot with boot on. Doc said it would be painful. My ankle is stiff, and I HAVE NOT placed it in a 90 degree angle yet. He said the process will be painful, there I MUST listen to my body.

When I left his office and as I got to the car, I told my friend I would try to "walk" those two steps to get into the car. I thought, "finally..."

But IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. My foot ...It was like I completely forgot how to walk. And when I did manage to put my foot down, the pain was HORRIBLE.

So I understand 100% what you are suffering right now.

We are progressing , but this will take time.

Missy

• Posted

Yes this is horrible pain. I haven't slept good and I feel trapped in my own body. I already have nerve issues with arm and the pain from my ankle combined has me on the edge. But there are days that are good. Wish you luck on your recovery!! Thanks for sharing!

• Posted

I had a talo navicular fusion back in June. Came out of cast and into boot so still wasnt doing anything with my ankle. Have been back in normal shoes now for getting on for a month and have had mega stiffness and pain problems. You have to move and exercise your ankle/foot otherwise it won't improve. I had a sports therapist visit last week and give it a sports massage and acupuncture which has helped. I also twice a day put my foot in tolerably hot water to get it warm, then I use both hands to manipulate my foot/ankle in a range of movements from left to right and up and down. This seems to be helping as if I walk fairly slowly I now do it without hobbling. Basically you need to re-educate your foot to walking again in a proper gait to get all the ligaments, tendons etc working again properly. I was told that hobbling around would only lengthen my inability to mobilise and walk properly and to use a crutch or crutches whe I felt it necessary but above all to walk correctly heel to toe. I hope your recovery moves forward soon.

• Posted

I did move my ankle its painful alright. I think I do need to soak it more to get that ankle more limber. How did u know when it was time to start walking ? i have not put weight on mines and wish I had more help with getting my boot better fitted. Right now I have my foot in a air cast boot too heavy.

• Posted

Yes do soak it. The warmth does help everything move a little easier. As soon as I had my cast off and boot on I was told to walk. I did that but it still holds your ankle stiff and it affected my knee as well. When 6 weeks later I went back to hospital they said normal supportive shoes and walk. They said to use boot if necessary but I have not as it holds my ankle and foot way to stiff. Whatever it takes now I walk properly and slowly and if I go out say shopping I take a crutch to make sure I walk heel to toe always.

• Posted

Do you have issues with your foot jerkiness? I do...I can not find a proper way to sleep and when I do..my foot jerks and it hurts. It keeps me awake and now I have these hot and cold flashes and my skin is breaking out in rashes. It causing havoc on my body temperature. I feel trapped in my body!

• Posted

I did have foot jerkiness. It is your nerves etc regenerating and rebuilding after surgery. It will stop. I just used to take a couple of Codeine before bed and got a great nights sleep.

• Posted

I hated my boot after I was out of a cast. I suggest asking your doctor if you are a candidate for an air boot. That worked much better for me during my ankle surgery recovery and rehabilitation. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.