Stiff Muscles

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't have panic attacks my sypmtoms are even worse I have developed agoraphobia as a result of GAD my leg muscles will stiffen and I am unable to move.I know this sounds crazy but open spaces cause this. My psych Dr.just looks at me like it is the strangest thing she has ever heard. Am I the only person so affected? meds don't work I had this once before but not this bad Effexor really worked. Now however I get terrible side effects from it. Has anyone else experienced this? any reply is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately, too many medical people just don't get it with anxiety. All of us here in this forum are dealing with it. Just in the US, as of a few years ago, over 20,000,000 people were diagnosed. God knows how many more are undiagnosed and untreated. In the world, it is pandemic. If this were a physical disease the cdc would be working overtime. As it is, it is often ignored, misdiagnosed, non diagnosed or just plain laughed at.

The first thing I would tell anyone who wrote what you wrote, is to get yourself to another doctor who will treat you properly, and get you on an anti anxiety med, so you can get calm enough to begin to help yourself.

When I finally staggered into urgent care, terrified and traumatized by what was going on in my mind and body, I was fortunate to get a doctor who looked at me, asked me a few qestions and prescribed a med that within a couple of days began to calm me, and by the end of a week and a dose increase, brought me to a place where I was able to start to help myself.

I didn't know that I had anxiety disorder, or how to help myself until I found this forum. What a wonderful, caring , helpful group. But....it started with the right medication.

We have all been, and are still traveling down the same road as you, so we all understand and believe you.

I do want to address the stiff muscles. Anxiety drains the body of minerals. ((as well as all the other stuff it does, like scare you half to death with thoughts of dire problems that aren't real. But later for that). The mineral deficiency that seems to most affect the muscles is magnesium. When my muscles tighten or spasm, or burn, I spray topical magnesium on any part of my body and rub it in, and within seconds or minutes....pain gone!! I just asked my doctor to order a blood panel including minerals. and  to specifically look at magnesium and potassium levels. He did so, and I will go in next week to get it done. In the meantime, I have my mag.spray.wink

Dear heart, your first step to taking your life back from this beast we call anxiety is to get on the right medication so you can think more calmly.

You will find a great deal of help here, Carol. These people have all been there, and are here for help and support, and to be of help and support. You are in the right place.wink

• Posted

Oh thank you for your reply I now feel so isolated because of this monster. I have tried just about every med out there all with side effects. I am extremely sensitive to meds.At this point I am willing to try anything.I have never had a problem with depression but it has made it's appearance since this isolation began. I can deal with the anxiety much better than the depression. just feeling down it is like a roller coaster of emotion.

• Posted

I, too,  am sensitive to meds. I have frustrated many a doctor. I don't even know how many blood pressure meds I've tried .I got so that just lookig at a blood preddure cuff raised my pressure.  Fortunately, with the anxiety med...first time was the charm...imagine my surprise. I do have one side effect slightly swolled ankles, but compared to the great effect of the med,.. that I can deal with.  I'm glad I can help. You can post here anytime and as often as you need or want to, dear Carol.wink

• Posted

Thank you having someone who "gets" it neans the world to me bless you Cia

• Posted

You are very welcome, darling Carol. When I first came to this forum that was the thing that helped me the most....someone who "gets"it. Here there are an amazing lot of people who do. Aren't we all fortunate to have found each other!!biggrin

• Posted

Aw, what would we do without you? I could cry, I really could! You are the rock many of us are clinging to!

Bless you a million times.

• Posted

My dearest Helen, that is extremely humbling,redface and fulfilling to me. Thank you for the kind words. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to be of some help, Now I have tears in my eyes.....see what you did?lol

• Posted

One thing my GAD has taught me is not to bottle things up. As  a result I've turned into a "Let it all hang out" kinda girl. Naturally I mean emotionally not physically. Between knee and neck everything is firmly covered. Dignity above all else after all.

I look and there you are, despite your own burdens, helping here, there, everywhere and everyone. Generating reassurance, giving hope to those who fear there is none and sharing sound and sensible advice from your own experiences.

Where do you find the energy? The will? I'm exhausted just reading, lol.

But know this, your " Angel Wings" protect us one and all! smile Damn, we're lucky to have you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Oh Helen, I truly have (for once) NO WORDS to express how I feel reading your post. Really, I'm speechless. Thank you dear girl, for the encouragement it gives me. That's all I need. That's where I get the will and energy...from all of you.confused So, I feel lucky to have you!! You all have changed my life...I love it!

• Posted

Just telling it like it is. People in this life are swift to judge, are swift in their unkindness through idle cruel gossip.. People appear to be embarrassed to say nice things, God knows why. A kind word, a compliment,  here and there lifts our spirits. One of the perks of growing older is the ability to say what I truly feel without feeling a fool. Now I'm way past the dreaded "Moustache and menopause " stage I am able to value the good in people  to scorn the bad in them. Ah, the freedom that brings! Beyond price!

You, my dear girl, are awesome. So why should I merely think it and not verbalise it? smile

• Posted

Okay, I accept awesome, and right back atcha. We were taught to accept a compliment gracefully, but sometimes, I admit  a compliment can be overwhelming. I am overwhelmed....and am able to thouroughly enjoy the feeling. Thank you so much for overwhelming me....redfacelol

• Posted

I want to add to my remarks. My test for magnesium deficiency came back normal. That suggests to me that unless one has TESTED low, to use the topical only, and only when needed.You can overdo mag.  I perceive that the mag. level goes down when anxiety spikes enough to cause the muscles to act up. After topical application of mag. it returns to normal.

I really would not self medicate on mag. pills (unless doctor says you are low and need them) just use the topical liquid...when muscles scream, "HELP ME" at you.

• Posted

Hi Cia I take a magnesium supplement and a multi vitamin thank you for your kindness
    • Posted

Whatever makes your life better, and keeps you calm, girl. Most people dont take magnesium tablet every day or very high dose for very long. There are a fair amount of drugs that deplete magnesium .And, too much magnesium in a supplement form can cause problems.  Might want to check.

I'm so glad you are supplementing your diet where you know you are not getting the minerals you need in food.

• Posted

I have also taken L- lysine and L argenine these two taken together help with anxiety, As it was explained to me many years ago when I broke out in a rash my Dr said was shingles a friend suggested L lysine saying that when you body is under extreme stress you use up the lysine you have. Your body does not make it's own so you are in a deficit situation I took it and It cleared right up. My husband had been bothered with a similar problem he took it with the same results. It is inexpensive and worth a try, also it can't hurt you.

• Posted

Great info, Carol....always happy to learn new things, girl.biggrin

• Posted

You are most welcome anything that might help is worth a tryconfused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.