Stiff Neck?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have been suffering anxiety for around 2 months now. I have thought I had every illness going. 3 weeks ago I was paranoid about headaches, saw around 9 GPs who said it was just tension. The headaches have now gone, but now I have this horrible pain in my neck. It feels stiff but I can move it, It's hard to explain, I just can't feel comfortable. I feel calm and am trying not to panic. Anyone else had neck problems with anxiety?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ive been getting a lot of neck probelms lately. It's started making crunching/popping noises now. I'm in my thirties so it could be down to ageing.

I've thought about going to see a Chiropractor for some scans or manipulations. I know looking down at my laptop doesn't help. I've thought that maybe it's caused by looking down all the time at where I'm going because of the dizziness I suffer with...

• Posted

Hi. I had really bad headaches that were caused by my anxiety. Also my neck felt really uncomfortable if I tried to move it much and I couldn't turn my head to the side because it hurt me. The doctors suggested to do exercises, but I wasn't able to do them due to too much pain. Since I didn't know what to do, I just accepted that I can't move my neck as I would like to, however, with time things just got better. I think maybe it's because my anxieties got better... Have you tried massaging it? I hope you feel better. xx  
    • Posted

That's very good news that it cleared up, thaks ofr your input.

It is common for stress & tension etc for the neck & back to be stiff. I treat myself to deep tissue massage from time ot time. The maseuse suggested that I go back once a week but I can't afford that!

• Posted

Yeah, if those things weren't so expensive, who wouldn't be there all the time? smile A massage can help so much, especially if properly done, but you can't have just one... Another thing that helps me is a heating pad. Of course, I can't put it on my neck directly as I don't want to damage the skin, so I put a towel or something inbetween. The warmth feels so good... Wishing you the best of luck xx 
  • Posted

Thanks for replies. Tinkara, my pain sounds just like yours, I have been trying not to concentrate on it but it's easier said that done. It's frustating because I thought my anxiety was getting better but it seems to just flare up from nowhere. :-(. I have tried massaging but I am one of these people who expect miracles and if the pain doesn't go away instantly I freak out, if you know what I mean. Hopefully with time, it will go, as a lot of other symptoms I had are easing. Take care x

Dee I am also on the laptop a lot, so that probarly doesn't help. You mention looking down a lot, maybe your neck has got used to being in that position if that makes sense? When I have a panic attack, my eyes dart around and concentrate on every single thing. I have now developed an eye cyst because of that. Maybe same kinda thing with neck, hope you feel better. Take care x

• Posted

I know what you mean. I can get pretty discouraged when I can't see results as fast as I would like to. Often you need quite a lot of patience, which you don't have... I hope things will get better for you soon. Take one day at the time and have faith that you're on the right path, which you are! Wishing you all the best xx
    • Posted

Oh no! An eye cyst, that sounds very painful. I hope you are getting some treatment for that.? 

Too hard on myself aswell for expecting results. A quick fix to patch up & move along, I suppose it's how society dictates things these days. We need more compassion for oursevles. 

• Posted

Thanks Dee. I got a fright when they found it at an eye test and they said they were going to send a letter to the hospital which sparked a panic attack in the middle of Specsavers! sad. Emergency trip to doctor (again) and he assured me that it was common and nothing to worry about. I just need eye drops. It's true we don't give ourselves enough time to heal. Society is too fast paced
    • Posted

Thanks Tinkara, I wish you all the best too :-) Xx
  • Posted

I've now come to realise that I may have a trapped nerve in my neck. Upon doing some research this explain the tingling sensations on my head - crawling scalp, pain in face & chills down the body, numbness in parts of my limbs from time to time. Will see what the chiropractor says..
    • Posted

p.s I don't want to scare you but i've just read something about dry eyes & cysts being related to an autoimmune disease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.