Stiffness

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Atroscopic surgery on my left knee 9 weeks ago. The swelling has gone down but the knee joints are very stiff especially when I get up in the morning. I have a pool in the complex and swim back stroke twice a day and do walking in the water and Aqua Cycling. Its alright after the swim but I still get this occasional pulling pain from the back of my knee joint when I walk. I can go for walks but get tired and need to rest the knee. I know it's early days but how Long would it take before the stiffness go off.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello!  I'm about 8 weeks out since I had a lateral release on my right knee. I'm having similar issues, but have such instability and pain and swelling I can barely walk without a crutch.  I also seem to have stiffness every morning, then by the evening my leg is so swollen it's sometimes 2x the size of my normal leg.  How is your knee going???
    • Posted

Hi, It's just over 8 weeks since I had Bi Lateral release and Chondroplasty. I still have to take anti inflammatory medications and have to ice my knees. I have a lot of swelling and stiffness. I feel that it is something stuck behind my knee caps. I can only walk about 30 to 50 steps at the time then I have to rest otherwise they get very swollen. I am to find out how long this condition will be continued if you have similar experience? How are you knees now? thanks

• Posted

Hey 1NG! Im now at 10 weeks goong on 11 and its still the same rolleyes. Swelling with barely any walking, cant go get groceries without being in pain for the rest of the day, cant put on pants because they end up swollen and tight, cant get up and down stairs without feeling like my knee is going to buckle, and sometimes it does. Im so frustrated. I have a drs appt on the 27th, but im still not driving etc.
    • Posted

Hi Imocolatta,

I would be keen to see what your surgeon says in your next visit. My one said I'm a bit impatience and I see the initial results after at least six months. My next visit is in June. I feel exactly feel your frustration as I am in the same boat! Are you still taking medications for swelling? I do. If I don't take them they get so swollen that I can barely get up from bed. I do my exercises twice a day and have a regular visit to my PT. let me know how you getting on. I feel that I have found someone who's the situation like mine! Thanks

• Posted

Ill definitely keep you posted. When i saw my surgeon week 6 post op, he said it could take up to 6 months, which was shocking because pre-op we talked about 6-8 weeks which is the expectation i set with my company. Nearly 3 months later and i attempted driving 2x for about 5 minutes and the swelling and pain were so bad i had to pull over and have the passenger drive. I cant go to the grocery store w/o a crutch, and even then by the time im done, my leg is so swollen im in bed the rest of the day. Ill let you know what the surgeon says, but i may ask hil to do another mri im case something else is going on. Let me know how yours progresses!
    • Posted

Apologies for the typos! Replying via cell from PT office lol.
    • Posted

I think our conditions are very similar. I am exactly feeling the same way but I can drive. I am struggling with shopping, standing, stairs, steep areas and the biggest problem for me is walking. At the moment doing gait training!!! Learning how to walk again!
    • Posted

Hi,:-)

How are your knees? Did you have the appointment with your surgeon?

Regards,

• Posted

Hello! So i went to see my surgeon who saw my stiffness and ROM at 95degrees. Told him about all th symptoms. He thinks its the inflammation causing the issues, so he gave me a cortisone shot. Since then the swelling has definitely lessened as has the pain and some of the stiffness. Its only been 3 or 4 days but theres definitely a difference. Without the painful swelling im able to have a more normalized gait, but the instability is still here sad. 2 more months off work sad. And reassessment in 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Hello, I am glad that you are feeling better. My problem is with swelling as well , when I have less I walk better. I have decided to not take any medication for swelling and pain as I heard that they have bad side effects on kidneys. I did do a blood test and checked the kidney function and it was good but definitely I don't want to take them for long period when the recovery time is unknown. I will see my surgeon on 23rd June and ask if I can do injection to reduce swelling. Just finished my 12 weeks since surgery and still not right!! Regards
  • Posted

Hello!  Wondering how your knee is doing?  The swelling returned on mine about 2 weeks after the cortisone injections.  It's pretty consistent that physical activity causes massive swelling and pain rolleyes. I started going to the gym because my rom is back, but immediately afterwards my leg was giving out constantly.  Hope you're doing better!

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your message. I am just about to go to 21 weeks since my operation. I stopped my PT last week as I thought is turning to a waste of money! I have started the gym workout mostly upper body workout and signed in with a personal trainer and I have to admit I feel stronger already. The knees still swells in the evening but I'm reaching to stage that it won't last as long as before normally a day or two. It's definitely improving in its own pace!!

The surgeon said to me it takes at least 6 months and I saw a guy that he had the same surgery at the gym and he said it took 18 months and still swells if he has high impact activities. So it shows there is no fast recovery so be patient.

But do you feel a bit better? If yes it shows you are improving but slowly. Cheers,

• Posted

So glad to hear you're doing a bit better!  It gives me hope.  I actually did the same, i hired a personal trainer who specializes in injuries, go to the gym 5 times a week.  But without fail, after the gym, my knee balloons up, and i can barely walk for the rest of the day.  It's so frustrating, and since mine is workers comp related, i have to wait for approval for the MRI that my Dr is requesting.  

In some ways, it's a bit better.  My ROM is much improved, though i still can't squat or sit on my knees.  Though i've been trying to focus on quad strength, my knee still 'gives out' occassionaly, and often buckles =(  My Dr is waiting on the MRI, but he mentioned the possibility of a TKR or PKR which i *really really* don't want to do.  I just CANNOT imagine having to go through this again.

I'll keep you posted & congrats on your healing!

• Posted

Ah thanks:-) How your knees doing? Mine has improved a lot but I still have a bit of pain and cant sit on my knees. I think now the winter is over and the weather is improving my knees has improved a lot. I am going 5 times a week to the gym and do all sort of strengthening exercises which helps with the recovery. Gosh it is nice to get back a little bit to a normal life but still long way for me to get back to my previous acitivities like hiking, mountain biking etc but I am happy with the improvement... 

Are you doing exercise bike everyday, I think for me that was the key to recovery. I've been going through pain everytime I do some sort of exercise but I see the next day my knees are feeling better.

Hope all goes well with your knees and keep me posted!

• Posted

Hey!! So, all these issues ive been having. I ended up having an MrI with contrast, which showed a meniscal tear. I knew i wasnt insane with all this pain! I have to have another surgery though, which im absolutely dreading rolleyes

Hope youre doing better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.