Stiffness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Itis now four months since I under went TKR

I can go for walk for about 45 minutes in the morning as well as in the evening.I do excercises as suggested by my physio

I have very minimal pain .The main thing which is bothering me the stiffness in the knee.It appears that knee cap has been tied with wire.

Is it normal ?Or should I get into touch with doc to find if any thing is wrong?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No idea about "wire".  Stiffness, tight "band" feeling, "popping", "clicking" and "clunking" sounds can all linger for 12-18 months...or more.  Normal...

• Posted

I'm about the same length of time post op and I have stiffness when I wake each morning. After stretching this disappears luckily.

I think this is all par for the course.

• Posted

Hi I'm about the same as you nearly 4 months post op and I'm the same with the stiffness mine is constant I can walk and I do my exercises but nothing takes away the stiffness. My consultant said it's all part of the healing process I've even stopped taking the meds as nothing seems to work so looks like we have to grin and bare it lol

• Posted

Hello. I am almost four months out and I think this is normal or so my therapist says it is. I walk and all my knee does is tighten up, swell, makes noise so I just ice and rest. I am trying not to take pain pills but every so often I have to. But I think all of this is normal it's just a slow process. I don't know about the wire feeling but everything else I do.

• Posted

I am 9 weeks and have exactly the same. Swelling and so  knee cap feels under immense pressure. Swelling so tight if I walk it makes my leg hard to bend so I walk with a limp. I actually think it's scar tissue pulling the knee cap. My physio said I should have been manually moving knee cap to prevent but nooone told me to do this. I am hoping the feeling stops as horrid. Can hardly move in bed and still uncomfortable sleeping in side so still on back. We just need to grin and hope it stops. 

• Posted

It's all normal...especially at 2 months post-op.  Just do PT, your home exercises, ice and elevate.  I promise you, it absolutely gets better.  Most people see a very noticeable improvement once they get past 3 months, look back and wonder where all that pain went.

Note: Some residual "stiffness", a "band-like" feeling and more may last 12-18 months...or beyond, but it's almost always minor and not very noticeable.  Have to remember that you have a giant, 2 1/2 pound metal mechanical device implanted in your body!  This is not natural like a real knee and there are some lasting consequences (like forbidden activities).  You are NOT the same as before...accept it...OWN IT!!!  I'm at 15 months...it does get a lot better...

• Posted

I was about half way through my PT when my therapist said I should be moving my knee cap...I thought UGH...move my knee cap...she showed me how to do it and said I should do it 2 to 3 times a day for at least 10 minutes to break up the scar tissue. Glad I did!!! It makes all the difference in the world. Your kneecap will move up and down and from side to side. It's a little bit uncomfortable at first because of the scar tissue but this will go away after a few sessions of moving the kneecap. Your kneecap normally moves about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in each direction and you do it slowly. No need to hurry with this procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.