Stiffness

Posted , 10 users are following.

How long is the knees stiff in the morning after the staples are removed?

Is there anything to help the stiffness other than exercise?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, three years on with one knee and five with the other, and they’re both still stiff in the morning or if I sit for too long. I think that’s it for life really. Soon wears off though and not at all painful.
  • Posted

The mornings are always rough. I would ice and walk around to loosen up my knee. I’m 4 weeks out this Monday and this morning was the first morning where is did not wake up in pain but still have lots of stiffness. 
    • Posted

Ya I'm 3 .5 weeks in recovery.. Staples are out thank god. I'm not use to being so stiff in the morning. No pain here either except the stiffness.

• Posted

I was told wen resting to help is to ice it regularly and elevate and keep up with exersises mine still quite stiff after 4 weeks
  • Posted

I'm 4 months in on RTKR still have stiffness in morning and after sitting, also still have night pain, but I'm a young 72, don't know if that has anything to do with it. This is such a long road of recovery.

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement 5 weeks ago. Still stiff especially in the morning. Taking a nice warm shower helps to loosen them as does walking and e exercise. PT just started with warm compresses rather than ice. They use ice after my exercises.  Hang in there- it can be frustrating 

• Posted

5months TKR and my knee is I would describe as tight still feels like the skin is stretched on it I don’t know it that is how yours feels,and I expected it to stay like this for a while yet.
  • Posted

Stiffness (tightness, a "band-like" feeling) is totally normal.  It decreases slowly, imperceptibly over time.  At one year, you may hardly feel it...docs say it can last 12-18 months.  I'm at 2 years and I rarely feel it anymore.  Getting that scar tissue broken down is the first and most major thing that you can do followed by ice and elevation for the swelling.  Both have a direct impact on the stiffness.  Then you have to get to the gym to rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core.  Leg exercises will definitely help loosen the knee up over time.

Walking, of course, is the easiest and probably best thing to do but you still need the strength exercises if you want to climb stairs correctly ever again (alternating legs up and down without holding onto anything).  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

For the walking, get a fit bit or smart watch to track your steps every day.  Knee swells?  Note the steps, back off and then resume.  Seeing a graph of your step progress is VERY satisfying.  The more you do, the less stiff it will be.

• Posted

Good morning, so im at 4months now finished p.t on Friday, may go into extended, not sure. But should I still be icing, still having night time issues I sleep four hours then get women up with achy pain and that's the end of sleep. Discouraging.😕

• Posted

I know the feeling I wake up at 330 a.m. and can't st back to sleep unless I take an oxey and I hate having to depend on those!

• Posted

Icing is for swelling.  Do it if you need it.  After PT, you need to rebuild all the musculature that supports the knee: quads, glutes and core...plus stretch out the tight hamstrings.  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

This will take you months and months since you have to start slowly.  Read this for sleep help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Turn that frown upside down, girl!  No wishy-washy crap here in TKRville!  Get strong...get pumped...GET ANGRY!!!  Grab this b*****d, throw it to the ground and stomp on its neck!!!  This is YOUR time to make a difference in YOUR life!!!

• Posted

I have always used Vit E oil ( not on the wound until it is completely healed and all drainage has stopped). Massage it in with y our thumbs 2 or 3 times a day. Vit E heals all the way to the bone and softens the soft tissues and make it pliable plus it heals. Buy it at the Vit section of the pharmacy.
    • Posted

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You must stay hydrated for better healing
  • Posted

Staples? My husband had a zipper
    • Posted

My friend wants me to have a zipper tatoo put in the scare...go figure lol
    • Posted

Very cool!!!!  My daughter had a chemo port put into her upper chest near her shoulder when she had cancer 4 1/2 years ago (cured) and then put a butterfly tattoo over the scar.  Good choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.