Stiffness above the knee after TKR not over the knee cap but the muscles above.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone else feel their stiffness above the knee. Mine is the area above and not over the knee cap. Other than that l am doing well now after feeling so low. Its there all the time. l am 13 weeks post op.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

im 5 wks post tkrs and yes....i have that 99% of the time. i assume its some form of swelling.

• Posted

I'm 11 weeks out, and I know my quadriceps weren't firing right for quite a while after the surgery. Anything I tried to do that involved the quads a.) wouldn't work and b.) caused a lot of pain! Have your therapists said anything about that?

• Posted

Hi, yes I had that for quite a while after my TKR. It's just the soft tissues and muscles etc adjusting to a new alignment. I can't remember when it disappeared, but it did. When you walk, try to lengthen your stride and ensure you place your heel down first and use your whole foot before lifting your heel. It will help to stretch it out. I found as time went on I had all sorts of pain and stiffness in various areas around the knee. At 7 months mist have disappeared, but I still have an issue with the IT band on the outside and lower quadrant where it attaches to the tibia. Other than that all is going well. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your fed back. Good to know its normal.

Good luck to you too.

• Posted

Just another question. When your muscles were so tight above the knee. Could you walk very far? I am most frustrated that l am so restricted. Stops me doing lots of things.

• Posted

About 20 minutes was my limit as far as I can recall, some days less if it felt very tight. I made sure I walked every day and was fortunate in that I could devise circular walks that could be cut short if I needed too. I used a tens machine and massaged the area with a paint roller of all things, but it did help. Now it's my back that's restricting my walking! I'm hoping that will improve when I have the other done.

It's easy and normal to feel frustrated when we can't do what we want. I try to focus on what I can do, but it doesn't always work. I'd love to go for a nice long walk in the countryside without worrying about whether I'll make it, but it us what it is and I'm grateful I can do some of the other things I enjoy.

I try to stick by my favourite saying: 'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain' and I can dance still!

• Posted

Hi, I've had the same feeling above and below after a year. ( I've had 4 surgeries with two replacements on the same knee in three years so it's taking longer to heal ) The advice above about lengthening your stride and walking correctly is very true. I would add making massage to those muscles part of your routine even if you do it yourself.

• Posted

I am 1 1/2 years post OP and will always have the stiffness.Thus is scar tissue buildup.Unfortunately I now have quad tendonitis from this.Basically I was told I needed to build muscles up in my leg.I did too much also went back to a physical job to soon.Uou may want to ask your surgeon about the scar tissue.Hope this helps

• Posted

I have 11 weeks since my double tkr . I was doing good on all my exercises while I was on my pain meds for about 7 weeks. PT said I didn't need to see him anymore but to continue with my exercises and strengthen my quads. The Doctor said I appeared good also and to stop my meds for pain or go to taking a half pill when needed. When I stopped taking the meds I could feel more pain and stiffness above the knee especially when doing squats . I think I had done too much while on the meds. I could still do my exercises but now I have a stiffness above my knees afterwards or when I sit too much.

Thanks Saint2012 for the info you posted.

I was thinking about going back to work at 9 weeks but I'm glad I didn't . I am going to rest a little more time.

• Posted

I am almost 12 weeks out now ..... been completely dedicated to all the PT and icing 6-7 times per day etc etc.Although i have good extension and flexion (120+ on both) the swelling is a constant nightmare and also the hard solidness above the kneecap the same Stopping me building any kind of quad muscle and thus have little balance and still cannot walk un aided.My PT guy say i am on track and doing well and that the swelling will eventually subside as everything heals completely. But it does worry me when i see others posting having issues a year down the line. I just ordered a Cryocuff off Amazon ... it was suggested on here actually and then when i read the reviews almost everyone had the TKR and almost all gave 5 stars and said it helped this swelling issue.

Good luck and hope we all get back on our feet real soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.