Stiffness When Changing Position

Posted , 11 users are following.

I find that I can be nice and loose and pretty flexible, but then I sit awhile to rest.

After resting even for just ten minutes or so, I go to get up, and my flexibility and looseness I felt just a few minutes before is replaced with legs that feel VERY HEAVY and TIGHT and STIFF!

It is as though someone comes and fills my legs with CONCRETE!

I get up, move around a bit, stand and/or stretch a bit and I am OK.

What I want to know is WHY CAN'T I MAINTAIN LOOSENESS AND FLEXIBILITY longer? What is it about inactivity and just resting (even for brief periods) that causes stiffness and that heavy feeling to creep in so quickly?

Do any of you feel this?

This is true for both of my legs...my SURGICAL one (TKR 6/26/15) and my soon-to-be SURGICAL KNEE (10/9/15).

I have Osteoarthritis.

I am 64.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm the same and I'm 58 and have osteoarthritis. Since my TKR in March my other knee is getting worse too!  Oh the joy of it all.  Looking forward to the replies x
  • Posted

I had TKR over a year ago and still get stiffness when I get up after sitting. It is improving though and doesn't last so long so, hopefully, yours will get better too. Unfortunately, that's probably not the case for your unoperated knee. I can remember that stiffness too and it reminds me I was right to get the op done! Good luck with your next op. 
    • Posted

How long did the operation take?

Was it very painful afterwards. I am a coward. 

• Posted

The operation didn't last long - to be honest, I've forgotten how long exactly! I had a spinal and not a general anaesthetic which was great. I was sedated so totally unaware of what was happening but had none of the after effects of a general anaesthetic. 

I won't pretend it wasn't painful afterwards (not immediately as the spinal meant I didn't feel anything for a few hours) but it was manageable with pain relief. It is a long, hard and sometimes very frustrating recovery process but, for me, it has been worth it. If you stay on this site you will get a lot of information, help and encouragement. Good luck! 

Jen x

• Posted

Good to know that improvements come with time. I want to be able to MOVE like I used to and STOP being the one always lagging behind!

Arthritis really hit hard and fast for me about four years ago, and my life has changed so drastically. I am very glad with my decision to have the surgeries because it truly was my only choice if I wanted a CHANCE to get my life back.

With our oldest and his wife delivering our first grandchild who will be arriving ANY DAY NOW and our youngest son getting married next year, I wanted to really be able to enjoy these momentous occasions without EXCRUCIATING pain clouding every part of the events.

Thank you for the encouragement!

• Posted

I was given the choice in discussion with the anaesthetist. I was happy to go with it - as long as I was sedated. Some people opt to stay awake. I couldn't handle that! As I said, I genuinely wasn't aware of anything till I woke up in the recovery room and I was able to chat with the nurses there without feeling groggy at all. I would certainly recommend it but everyone is different. 
    • Posted

I was the same - it was the CHANCE of an improved lifestyle that made me decide to go ahead. And, although I still get some stiffness, I can walk so much better and do most normal things again. I've got 5 grandchildren aged 5 and under and look after them a few days a week so they keep me busy! 

It's taken year for me to feel really happy with my knee but I can now say, yes, it was worth it 😊 

Enjoy your new grandchild - being a grandmother is wonderful. My youngest son gets married too in December. I'm looking forward to that too and to dancing all night 💃💃 lol. 

Enjoy your family celebrations.

Jen x

• Posted

Great to hear things are better for you!

It's wonderful that you are doing so well that you can take care of your FIVE sweet grandchildren! I am looking forward to having a GRANDDAUGHTER after two sons (and lots of their friends!) that were always at the house, in the yard etc.

Enjoy that DANCING at your son's wedding! I know what you mean about taking the plunge and KNOWING that it was SURGERY TIME!

I am very anxious to get KNEE#2 done next month. It is the one holding me back now!

Take care, and keep getting better and better!

Hug those five sweeties for me!!!

• Posted

I don't quite manage the 5 of them all at the same time but they are good fun. I too have 3 sons so my 3 granddaughters are quite a novelty. I also enjoy my 2 grandsons though. 

Good luck with your op. Hope all goes smoothly for you. 

Jen 

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer. I feel more hopeful now since reading your response and those of otherss.

I am feeling depressed due to the worsening pain.

I live in England.

Kind regards

Jean

• Posted

You are a PRO!

My son's mother-in-law has seven grandchildren already. She is the true Veteran! I am a true ROOKIE, but I am willing to LEARN!!!

Any tips on Granddaughters after having SONS will be greatly appreciated!

Have fun!

• Posted

I live in Wales. If you're in a lot of pain I would say it's definitely worth going for the op. But find out all about it first from your consultant and posts on this site. Good luck. X
    • Posted

I was amazed how they will sit for ages colouring  and drawing! They love cuddly toys too. Quite a change after years of rugby kits and sport on the tv. 😊 
    • Posted

I LOVE coloring, drawing and all kinds of crafts! Maybe I will have a Craft Buddy! My Aunt Laurel was MY Craft Buddy! Wonderful Sunday afternoon memories of that after church and dinner at her house or ours!

Sounds LOVELY!!!

• Posted

Dear Cheryl

agree. I wish I could be free of this neuropathyhic pain and teninitis.]

jean

• Posted

Neuropathy is such s difficult disease. My husband IS having very good results taking ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) 600mg. each day. It helps protect the nerves and lessens symptoms and pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.