Stiffness When Changing Position

Posted , 11 users are following.

I find that I can be nice and loose and pretty flexible, but then I sit awhile to rest.

After resting even for just ten minutes or so, I go to get up, and my flexibility and looseness I felt just a few minutes before is replaced with legs that feel VERY HEAVY and TIGHT and STIFF!

It is as though someone comes and fills my legs with CONCRETE!

I get up, move around a bit, stand and/or stretch a bit and I am OK.

What I want to know is WHY CAN'T I MAINTAIN LOOSENESS AND FLEXIBILITY longer? What is it about inactivity and just resting (even for brief periods) that causes stiffness and that heavy feeling to creep in so quickly?

Do any of you feel this?

This is true for both of my legs...my SURGICAL one (TKR 6/26/15) and my soon-to-be SURGICAL KNEE (10/9/15).

I have Osteoarthritis.

I am 64.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl - I am exactly the same even after 7 months post tkr. Very frustrating because the job I do means I'm sitting for long periods so when I get up to walk its very stiff and tight until I start walking. I can walk for miles and the knee is fine it's when u don't it's a problem. Not sure what the answer is unfortunately but it does seem that it's the norm as most others have it as well!

I too had spinal anesthetic. Was told it made recovery easier than general. Was worried at first but would definitely do it again if I had to.

• Posted

I sure do know what you mean about the difficulty getting moving after sitting! I have discovered that I FIDGET a lot more than other people...like I am TRYING to keep things moving even when I am sitting and RELAXING...just so that I am more ready to start walking when the time comes!
  • Posted

oh cheryl i think everyone can agree with you here just because we are made of metal now !!! ha !! stiffness still takes time im afraid sometimes i feel like they should of left a keyhole on the side of the knee where we could put some 3 in one oil  inthe joint to oil up the metal to give us a looser bend ohh if it were that easy we would all be running (excuse the pun) to get TKR keep doing what your doing cheryl it will improve over time and i know your telling me time is not on your side with the other op in october but dont worry you will cope and you will be amazed by the way this knee will just get on with it when you get the other one done so dont worry your doing great best of luck
    • Posted

I laughed when you mentioned having a hole to pour in the OIL! My husband, who likes to joke around so things don't get too serious, closes his mouth tightly (like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz movie) and says, "OIL CAN" ...hoping that SOMEONE will give ME some OIL when I get all stiff!

It DOES make me laugh...only because I am TRYING TO THINK how I might manage just that!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think LEFT KNEE will do fine having GRADUATED a number of weeks ago to "THE GOOD KNEE!" I sure hope RIGHT KNEE cooperates during recovery. RIGHT KNEE is a real PISTOL, a snap, crackle, pop of a knee...always wanting attention and able to do PAIN DRAMA very, very well.

Yes, I think of my knees like individuals. Today at Physical Therapy I told them to WORK TOGETHER like a TEAM on the leg presses. The lady next to me said SHE talks to her shoulders, too, having her right one replaced several months ago. We struck up a nice conversation and have become friends!

I like to make things a game, a competition, between RIGHT KNEE and LEFT KNEE, too. Makes me laugh and helps me keep things in perspective.

We will ALL make it...all in our own time frames! I love hearing about everyone's experiences here on this site. What a great support group!

Best to you, Linda!!!

• Posted

I agree.

Does anyone here live in the UK I ask because of the different therapies.Jean

• Posted

I'm in Lincs, Jean, and had my operation privately in Peterborough.
    • Posted

Hi Jean

I live in Essex. The care and op I had was excellent.

👌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.