Stiffness when I sleep flat on my back

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone..

I'm about 9 weeks post op....when I fall asleep flat out on my back and legs out straight I wake up with an achy feeling lthr side..when I go to bend it it hurts...I'm fine if I have a pillow under neither but sometimes I roll over in my sleep..does anyone else experience this...

Also...around my incision it's a little red and pins and needles..it feels hard inside...other than that I walk normal without an aid and I feel fine other than occasional twinges..

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sleeping flat on your back pulls lots of muscles, have you tried a pillow In between your knees and sleeping on your inoperative side, but check before that it's ok or if you must sleep on your back put a light pillow under your knees and lower back and at least two under your head

• Posted

Yes I have clearances ..I usually do use lots of pillows.last night I just turned on my back while o was sleeping..when I woke up and moved..wow..was o stiff and I felt it..just wondered if it was normal..I guess it is

..thank you

• Posted

Absolutely normal, I used to wake up so stiff I couldn't move but it hurt like mad as well, had to sort of pull myself over by gripping the side of the mattress, it will improve, eventually just takes time

• Posted

Hi Connie, the hardness may be scar tissue. I was told to use bio oil if it is that.
    • Posted

Thank you

Yes I was thinking that too..I was rubbing with coconut oil...what is bio oil

Connie

• Posted

I am not sure what it is, but it is for scars apparently. I ordered it with my shopping but the shop had sold out, so I have not tried it yet. 
    • Posted

If you are in the uk connie you can get bio oil at any chemist. It is advertised for scars. I am using vaseline or coconut oil whatever is to hand.
  • Posted

Hi Connie,

I started sleeping on my un-operated side around week 8 without problems but, I do put a pillow between my legs. When I had to stay on my back all night I had loads of pillows around me. I do not think you should worry about any odd feelings around the scar area, it will still be healing inside. I feel mine more after walking a lot.

• Posted

Thank you..

I usually do have pillows..I must've been tossing and turning alot last night..

I have been walking alot..I put ice on this morning...other than the things mentioned I'm doing great...even walked around on my horse yesterday..was so good to do with no pain..

• Posted

I am 6 weeks and I find if I haven’t had enough water during the day or if I’m low in magnesium I wake up with pain and cramps on my side. 
    • Posted

Thank you..

I'm good with water..but..I will try magnesium..

Thank you

• Posted

My Bowen therapist gave me magnesium spray will it help? 
  • Posted

I'm 6 weeks out and am currently experiencing the same thing. I try the pillow between the knees and it stills feels extremely heavy and painful. I'm aweful stuff and in pain of a morning.I have found that trying to do the exercises I was given to do while laying in bed will help take the edge off so I can at least get up and try to start walking around. You might try something like that. Dr tells me it's all normal.

• Posted

Thank you.

Such a strange feeling..

It just effects me during sleep..I'm somewhat active during the day..thank you

Connie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.