Stigma

Posted , 3 users are following.

W all  have stigma about various mental health disorders and issues. Because of these, we tend to have more myths and misconceptions that we don't clarify, leading to more ignorance, and more dangerously, isolation, discrimination and harm to people who need help! So let's talk about some of these doubts we ourselves or others have about mental health issues which we don't know where to ask, for fear of being misunderstood.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Great post! I find it hard to talk about any of this to really anyone other then my partner and even then I dont fully go into the deep dark thoughts as much as i want too, he works the night shift and i know he constantly worries about me while he is gone and I know I could never self harm but anyways

I doubt everything about myself lately. I lost 87 lbs just before Christmas and between that and the woman at work I feel like I have no confidence in myself, I dont feel strong like I did before, when I was at my lowest weight I felt self concious about it.

I am now 20 lbs heavier after getting pregnant for the second time and suffering a misscarriage again and now I hate my body even more. Not to mention I dont trust in my own abiliites to do anything. I am an early childhood education and i feel like a complete failure with the amount of work I have missed, I feel like people always talk about it, I lack passion to even try to do things anymore. 

I am so worried about my relationship, we are engaged and I am scared to get married this summer because he will leave me because I am so unhappy despite him constantly saying he wont and us being together for 6 years. 

• Posted

Hi Nicole...I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I hope you have had enough of rest. Looks like there's a lot of self doubt, insecurity about your worth of being loved and body image issues. I can relate to the last one myself since I have been having weight issues since childhood. It feels really really hard to get out of the vicious circle of emotional eating and self blame/ loathing. And that obviously spreads onto other things eventually too. 

Othe people including society certainly doesn't make it easy for you! A slim figure is always appreciated more. People feel ou aren't trying enough, when you appear a bit on the plump side. I too went into a state where I felt I don't even want to try. But what I realized was that tasks seem bigger when we try to plan for a whole life. At times, it might just help more to take one step at a time. I planned to see if I can be stable in terms of my routine and eating habits for a month, rather than planning for my entire life. And it worked. We just need to take that first step that feels a bit heavy, the rest will fall into place. 

Secondly, I am no one to comment on your relationship, but wouldn't love be dependent on many other factors other than our body weight? Are there other things he does that make you feel that he will be there for you?

And isn't it understandable that you are having difficulties getting back onto the lifestyle you wanted after the miscarriage (or an accumuation of many events, maybe)? Am sure it might not have been easy on you mentally either. Don't be so harsh on yourself. Don't be guilty for feeling the way you do.The more you are harsh on yourself, the more of pressure there will be with respect to behavior, feelings about oneself and might demotivate you to do anything rather than the desired effect. Give yourself some break and just focus on one step at a time and start with small expectations from ourselves and reward ourselves by doing something you love, maybe? And even if you find that difficult, therapy is another source of help available. 

I think it's been a very long post. I hope you find enough strength to find ways of coping with, and surviving this phase in style! Lots of love. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.