Stiil groggy at 4pm.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wonder how people who are prescribed this drug for depression cope. Am I right that they can be taking up to 200mgs. How on earth do they function or are they just constantly zonked out? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Many years ago I took another tricyclic antidepressant for depression, at a larger dose. Yes, I was zonked out all the time. It was dreadful! (And didn't help the depression). In those days, there was no advice about starting low and building up...

• Posted

Was on amitriptyline for nearly 20 years and at one long point was taking 250mg! 

Have a lot of experience with this drug and looking back was the worst thing I have ever done. Think it’s ok to take for a few short months in small doses if nothing else can help but there are always other options which sometimes we choose to ignore.  Pills are not the cure for everything.

They made me groggy but I functioned. 

Have you tried other things? Mindfullness/therapy. Etc? There’s so many other weapons to fight depression at our disposal!!

Good luck 

• Posted

Richard, lol 😂

I was prescribed this for anxiety and mild depression and I started at 10mg and it helped me a lot. Your right, it would be interesting to see how people feel when they take 200mg. I know I would be dead sleep and probably never wake up !!! I am at 50 now after almost 9 months and I took it very slowly. I feel great and I am working on coming off of it soon. Oh, reminder pls don't take the sleeping pill with this.... May be consult your Dr before you do.

• Posted

I've taken 150mg at night along with 300mg of Quietiapine. That combination certainly gives me a very good sleep. But I struggle during the day. I've been on the amatryptaline for a year and the Quietiapine for six months. It helps keep me stable but at the cost of being very tired during the day.

Thirty years ago I was on modecate injections and they really did affect me. I slept around twelve hours a day and was sedated for the other twelve hours. At least the new medication is so much better than the modecate. It was dreadful stuff and I was told I would be taking it for the rest of my life. I'll be honest, if I hadn't just stopped the modecate, I think I would have ended my life. There was no life in me at all on that stuff.

The modern meds, debillitating though they are, are a world away from the older stuff.

• Posted

Hi,

Poor you...

Why did you originally struggle to sleep?

Ed

• Posted

The usual story, stress at work coupled with schizophrenia raising its head again. I am certain that if the sleep problem had been dealt with properly I could have avoided the schizophrenia getting worse. I wish my GP had prescribed even one sleeping tablet to give me the elusive good night's sleep I really needed. So you think, try alcohol and that creates more problems.

We are where we are, life goes on and you need to make the best of it.

• Posted

For sure and understand your issues as I share similar problems.

Feel we live in a society where every problem is dealt with medically.

I’ve been on up to 250mg of anti depressants for 20 years but recently stopped. The pills got me nowhere and if anything created their own problems.

What else are you doing to try and cope with all your issues? 

Have you properly tried mindfullness/yoga!etc?  

So many other avenues to explore. 

Must say that the pills do help for sleeping but if I could say one thing it’s dont become dependant....

These pills should not be a long term remedy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.