still acute shortness of breath, scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, after the hospital explaining on Tuesday that my right lung was full of infection causing breathlessness that I've never had before, they prescribed 500mg Amoxicillin three per day for 7 days, it is only Thursday evening but I had hoped to feel just a little improvement, instead of that it's as bad as ever. I mentioned the antibiotic that is often mentioned on here, Azythromicin I think, but she said I was'nt ill enough for that. Which makes me think I have to be dead before they will give me it! Very frustrating and anxious hours rolling into days, although she did kindly say that if things got worse over the weekend to go back up to the hospital, which is a good hours drive north of me. Guessing that some of you have been there got the teeshirt? What to do for the best is my question really, just sit patiently at home and wait?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, that is a penicillin and  I would be patient, it will take a couple of days to take effect. I have had that, you should be fine. Rest a lot to help get better.

Lesley

• Posted

thankyou Lesley, resting is a good option because it's not taking much for me to be short of breath right now, I guess in time I will get used to these infections and the discomfort, just early days yet and still trying to get my head round everything.

David.

• Posted

Amoxycillinis possibly not the best antibiotic for bronchosatis as it is a general broad range antibiotic doxycillin or erethromycin are stroger and generally used in this problem were you given steroid tablets as they should be taken with the antibiotic and this condition needs a longer course of antibiics my consultant insisted my gp gave a 14 day course as it clears up any residue azithrom romycin is a prophalactic antibiotic which is prescribed for continous use 3 times a week when you get lots of infectios in a short period hope this helps
    • Posted

I was not given steroid tablets at the same time as the Amoxy, they gave me the steroids a week earlier, then the antibiotics afterwards, not convinced they know what to do with me just yet! but I will be so happy when they get it right....
  • Posted

From my past experience I would say the antibiotic you have is inadequate for the infection you have and they should have a sputum sample to assess what that infection is.
    • Posted

that's part of my puzzlement here Mo, it was based on a sputum sample, one that was taken two weeks ago! not sure that the local hospital has facilities to analyse samples on site, think they get sent by road south to Inverness which is 100 miles away, so it would appear my treatment is well after the fact so to speak. plus in my opinion I think I need treatment sooner than is happening now, a week was wasted by giving my a course of steroids first.
  • Posted

Hi David

I am so sorry to hear you're poorly. I know exactly how you're feeling. I am in the same boat at the moment and have 1 more amoxicillin tablet to take - which makes me so nervous as I know that by Sunday I'll be just as bad again!

The positive is If your Amox dont do the the trick you'll be given something else very quickly! Have you been given steroids to take along side ?

Night time always seems worse. I've found that Vicks really helps at the moment, it calms me down as well as makes my breathing feel better. Take your ventolin then If you rub some on your neck and chest then put some on your nose I've found I manage to get some sleep . .... I hope it works for you. It's become a comfort thing for me now I think!

I've also been drinking boiled luke warm water I've found this to help my chest over the last few days.

I hope you manage some sleep. The amox should be starting to work , but if you're no better by tomorrow id go back and get them changed as by 3 days you should feel some improvement at least.

Best wishes , Keep us updated x

• Posted

Hello Sabrina,

oh my goodness so you are in exactly the same position as me, I'm sorry to hear that, it seems to be a constant battle for some people does'nt it? does'nt help the fact that I'm the only patient with this condition at my local GPs, so it's perhaps new territory for them too! I quite agree with the Vick type thing, except that I use Olibas oil which is much more potent and extremely comforting when needed. Have'nt tried drinking the luke warm boiled water, but I sure will. By this afternoon it will be the 3 day mark since starting the Amox, and as yet there is'nt the slightest difference, I'm ok if I just sit still not exerting myself in any way, trying to function otherwise causes pain in my lungs, so for now I'm a couch potato, best wishes to you Sabrina, I hope you get some relief soon...... cheesygrin x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.