Still Bleeding 3 Weeks after Robotic/Hysteroscopic myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello- I am 32 years old. After noticing my periods were becoming very heavy, and an extremely terrifying ER visit for sudden hemorrhage- like bleeding, I was diagnosed with 3 fibroids...all 3 different types. Submucosal, subserosal, and intramural. The latter was the size of a grapefruit, and later found to be necrotic (because of its size, not enough blood flow was causing a part of it to die) So, on 10/17/19 I had both a robotic (Da Vinci) and hysteroscopic myomectomy at the same time. My surgeon is fantastic and well known in the Northern VA area, so I was confident in his abilities, and that helped with my fear and anxiety. After surgery, I had a very quick recovery. I do have a higher pain tolerance, but i did not need any pain medication, although I did take a total of 2 800mg motrin, only because I wanted to make sure pain didnt come on suddenly after the anesthesia meds wore off. Anyway, I could walk immediately after surgery without any assistance, went home same day, and continued recovering well and could move pretty much normally in less than a week. My only concern is I am still having bleeding 3 weeks later. Earlier this week I had a follow up, and the doctor said it's normal but it still worries me a bit. It's not heavy, and usually in the morning to early afternoon I have no bleeding at all. But then, I start to have light bleeding later in the afternoon (not much gets on the pad, but it's there when I urinate) and there are a few instances that it gets a bit heavier, but I would still consider it a light/medium period, and it only lasts a little bit. It's just how long it's been that is concerning me. And quite frankly absolutely annoying. Has anyone dealt with this after surgery? I am just so ready to feel normal and not worry about bleeding anymore. I've been so paranoid since my ER incident (August), I've pretty much worn a pad or used tampons every day, just in case there was any random bleeding. Any input is appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i had an open myomectomy over 2 years ago to remove 5 fibroids, i was 26 years old. the largest was 6cm but like you i had 3 different types. 8 weeks after surgery i was still having prolonged bleeding, even though it was much lighter than pre-surgery. my consultant said this was totally normal, in the end i took a form of birth control which regulated my bleeding again .

• Posted

Yeah, I'm actually already on the pill and have been taking it continuously. So, this still seems to be post op bleeding. Its driving me nuts 😦

• Posted

I had a hysteroscopic myomectomy nearly a month ago and my doctor said it's normal to bleed for several weeks after the procedure. If it continues to be problematic, though, call your doctor--they may want to put you on a birth control regimen that will get the bleeding under control. I guess I got lucky--after my hysteroscopic procedure, I got a normal period for a few days and that was it. (Probably because I went off the pill so that I can try to get pregnant soon, now that the fibroids are taken care of.) However, back in 2018, I had a major open myomectomy and I had horrible bleeding for a month afterwards. The doctor had me skipping placebo weeks of my birth control so that I was only getting my period every three months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.