Still bleeding !!! So fed up.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi fellow sufferers,what a terrible disease this is,after 4/5 weeks I am still bleeding, been to doctors again he tol me to try another 2  weeks to see if it clears up 😱 and now I am constipated,I have now got to start to take Fybogel,because of bleeding I am tired and feeling low ,so I am on iron,but a liquid iron so I don’t get more constipated, but one good thing I hardly have any pain ! just a terrible urge to go to toilet all the time.sorry to go on but it’s good to speak to people who understand.x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That’s terrible Patricia, what is the bleeding coming from? I have this constant lower pain in my abdomen, like I am constipated, when I go iris still theresad this is truly a horrible disease, it’s all consuming and I too am depressed because I just still don’t feel well.
    • Posted

Thank you Cindy for replying,the bleeding comes only when I go to the toilet,but worries me as it’s not clearing up yet, I think I am stressing about two Christmas parties I have got to go to and that doesn’t help !!!
  • Posted

how much bleeding ? Is it in bowels or when you wipe?  Did you just finished antibotics?
    • Posted

Hello, I haven’t been given any antibiotics,I think my doctor hopes it will clear up without them.blood in bowels,but not any other time.
  • Posted

I don't know where you are based (I'm guessing UK), but it sounds to me like you need further treatment/investigation.  Have you had a colonoscopy?  If not, how were you diagnosed?  There are several bowel conditions which can cause bleeding apart from diverticular disease, like haemorrhoids for example.  Some of these do not seem to need antibiotics, but you do need to know what the actual problem is.  If you are UK based, I would not let your GP fob you off just to save the practice and NHS money, particularly as you now need iron supplements.  I hope you get answers soon.

• Posted

Hello,yes I am in the U.K. I had a colonoscopy about 18 months ago, I don’t know how often you are suppose to have them.i don’t know why the Dr insists to wait 6 weeks for bleeding to stop ! I have had a couple of flair ups since the colonoscopy but this is the worse,although I shoul be grateful I am not in any pain,Dr. gave me some Fybogel for constipation but just keep taking them until needed ,don’t think I should take them while bleeding,but then again not a lot of information about anything trouble is don’t get to see the same Dr twiceI am reluctant to do anything before Christmas 🎄 hope you and yours have a happy Christmas.

• Posted

Just read this Patricia - blood in stools can be very scary and (as F says above) you need a diagnosis. The good news is if you had a colonoscopy 18months ago then is unlikely to be colon cancer ( I've been told this typically needs of the order of 5 years to develop) so you can rest easy over that at least. I have DD and sometimes get blood in stools, usually only if I allow myself to become constipated. Constipation is very bad for DD for two reasons: first the stool is hard, the second it is small - both these things increase the tension in the colon wall - people think is the root cause of DD. Greasy food is also very bad, so be super careful over Christmas to not over do it, drink plenty of water etc and follow all the dietary advise you can find on this site.

All the best + hassle your GP to pull their finger out and determine the diagnosis 

James

• Posted

Hello James, thank you for your reassuring reply, I am trying very hard not to become constipated with new fibre foods, I really want to sort this out but trying to wait until after Christmas,thanks for advice about greasy food, what do you think about a mild curry and brown rice a rare treat for me.🙀

• Posted

Hi Patricia

I must admit to being puzzled after reading your post.  Normally after a flare up the doctors like to give you 6 weeks for the inflammation/infection to die down before doing any further tests, so as not to risk a perforation.  But you say you are not in pain, which you would be if you had a flare up of diverticulitis (infection) or diverticulosis (inflammation).  So I am wondering if this is actually not your DD but something else, like plain constipation, a small tear, bleeding haemorrhoid, colitis or IBS.  I think it's more than just a simple tummy upset, as it has gone on for so long.  However DD sufferers understandably often think a tummy upset is a DD flare and can ask for, and get, antibiotics unnecessarily.  (I did!!!)

I can remember once being told that if the symptoms are not clearly indicating one thing, the doctors leave it to see what develops or goes away.  The good news as James says, with your colonoscopy being recent, nothing sinister is likely to have developed in that time.

I was prescribed with one Fybogel per day, which I have been taking faithfully for 16 years, apart from when I have a flare needing antibiotics, or have the runs.  Then I stop and start after the tummy has settled.  But if you are constipated you do need something gentle to help you.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Patricia, 

There's some good dietary blogs on here (DIVI DINERS is pretty extensive) and peoples experience seems to be very varied - part of the problem with this game is there seem to be a number of conditions (DD, IBS, IBD or a mixture) with different requirement and you just have to read and experiment. Most people move back to some diet that they know they are safe with and then add different foods back in carefully and observe the effect? In my case I seem to have straight DD. It appears as though this is adversely effected more by getting the physical structural aspects of the diet wrong (e.g. over eating or becoming constipated) rather than say a particular food intolerance, but I am not completely sure! Ive had two very bad attacks after peanuts but I now don't believe it was the nuts as such but more how I consumed them and what else I ate that was the trigger .... but I don't want to test this theory as the downside is so bad! All this is a long way to answer that *for me at least* spice seems fine and curry works (though beware of beef as its transition time through the gut is long - chicken/fish much better). More than anything I try not to over eat, have a good veg mix and drink loads of water and avoid greasy foods. If the pain starts to build then I'll back off to soups.

This condition is a real pain I'm afraid, but with luck one can get it into a manageable state.

Good luck and keep prodding your GP!

• Posted

Once again thank you James, it’s reassuring to know there are people out there who will share their experiences and give practical advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.