Still breathless and swollen hands and feet after pneumonia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My mum had double pneumonia back in September 2015. She had the usual treatments of antibiotics and then prednisolone. She's currently tapered Dow to 5 mg a day. However, she is still breathless after mild activity and also her hands, feet and knees are now swollen. Her hands are also sore, but we think this is due to the prednisolone thinning the skin. Has anyone else had anything like this, it's really getting her down and I desperately want to help her. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I get fluid retention from the pred in my feet and legs, but luckily my hands are OK at the moment. The side effects should start to reduce at 5mg but they really are a pain, literally! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, it's nice to know someone else has the same thing. It's such a shame for my mum, she has also got pins and needles in her hands which I don't know if it's related to the prednisolone. Did you find any meds that helped with the water retention, my mums had some water tablets, but there hasn't been a vast difference. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I do have leg and foot massage for the water retention which is nice. I did try manual lymphatic drainage which did not work but I suspect the person who did it hadn't a clue. My GP refused to give me water tablets as they have a contra indication with pred.
    • Posted

That's interesting, our gp wasn't keen, but gave them to her anyway. I might look up how to massage her feet and see if it helps. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Massaging her feet would be good as it help the lymphatic system. Get some nice oils for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.