Still can't walk without pain after 11 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

I suffered a spiral fracture of the fibula in January, had a cast for 2 weeks then an air boot for a further 3 weeks. Saw my consultant on 4th March and was x-rayed again and told that the fracture was fully healed but that I had soft tissue damage which was why I could still barely walk due to the pain. Another 5 weeks down the line and my ankle is no better despite not going out and keeping my foot raised most of the day. In desperation I went to a private physio this week and she was amazed I had not been given any instructions, exercises or offered physio at the hospital. She told me I had sprained that part of my ankle where the tibia and fibula meet the talus which is why it is so painful when I put any weight on it. This is inaddition to having sprained the outside of my foot. I have been advised to do alternate hot and iced foot baths for a total of 30 mins twice a day and to keep my foot ujp as much as possible. She is giving me deep ankle massage and ultrasound(?). Has anyone else suffered the same injury and knows how long it will be before I will be able to walk again?

0 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

it seems our NHS is a post code lottery for treatment. I am now nearly 4 months since breaking and dislocating my ankle. I have had very good care and am now discharged from the fracture clinic here in North Yorkshire. 3 days after my cast was removed I had a physio appointment and went for assessment and exercises each week for an hour with an NHS physio. She did gentle exercises at first then manipulation of the ankle after about a month.  She told me at the first visit to take paracetamol 4 times a day for at least a week so that I could do the exercises properly and not stop becasue of the pain. It worked and unless I use the ankle too much I can walk really well. If it is cold weather the metal reconstuction bits cause aching and if I am on my legs too long the ankle swells up and prevents proper movement. The bones have healed OK but due to the dislocation the nerves and soft tissue were badly damaged and may take many months to repair. I hope this is helpful for you and if you get no joy from one particular consultant you are entitled to a second oppinion which you GP may be able to arrange.

The exercises should be done at least 5 times a day and there is a good web site of instructions if your physio hasn't given you any.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Beryl, I am so glad you are doing well. I am starting PT next week and am hoping I will do as well as you. What is paracetamol?
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments. Actually the NHS in my area is usually very good so today was a bit disappointing. I will decide what to do next after seeing my GP and speaking to my physio. Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Been at physio a few times myself,and although I have regained a good ROM it's the walking that's the problem due to the swelling and the tightness in the ankle joint,The physio said all the blood vessels and ligaments have been messed up due to the twisting mechanism.Personally as I try to walk it feels as if something is catching on the side of the ankle.I will be seeing the consultant in two weeks time so if it hasn't come good by then ,I will be looking for another X-ray.Again I can only thank the NHS in my area N.Ireland.
    • Posted

Paracetamol is an over the counter low level pain relief tablet or capsule. It has very few side effects but is best taken before the pain gets bad and the dose builds up in the body which makes it very effective.  You probably have a similar thing under a different name.
    • Posted

I remember being able to buy paracetamol with codeine in it over the counter when I lived in England.  I think you still can.  There was one specific brand that was very popular.  Chris probably knows of it.  Heaven!
    • Posted

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately I have tried them all and as they weren't helping got some prescription ones from my GP but they didn't help either. I will be asking for some stronger ones when I see my GP next week. I intend to take them when I have to go out so I can do the food shopping in more comfort. I also feel I have to start walking my dog again as my kind neighbour has been walking Mollie for me for the last 3 months. As she walks her dog first then comes and takes mine I feel I have taken advantage of her kindness for far too long. If I'm not in so much pain I think I could manage it if I take her where all her doggy friends are then hopefully I can sit on a bench whilst she runs around with them. When I first was injured, for the first month this same neighbour came in at 7.70am every morning to let Mollie out, feed her, make me a coffee, leave me a flask of coffee and came in periodically during the day to let Mollie out and get me something to eat! She deserves a medal and I can never repay her for her kindness. This is one of the things that annoyed me about my 'treatment' as the consultant knew I lived alone and had a large dog and all I was told was that it takes time! In contrast when I went to the drop-in centre (a low key A & E) before I knew what damage I had done. the nurse was brilliant and was the only person, other than my physio, who actually examined my foot. She was very concerned that I lived alone and sent me to A & E in the hopes they would give me an air boot as she knew I would find it even more difficult with a cast which was all she could do as she wasn't able to provide a boot. So it hasn't been all bad. I am now off to bed as I am exhausted after the frustrations of the day.
    • Posted

I am so sorry, I know how frustrating this has to be. Your neighbor has been a God send to you. Although I am sure she doesn't mind helping you out, I understand how you feel.
    • Posted

Well I have now seen my GP and been told that an MRI wouldn't be very useful as the treatment is the same whichever ligaments I have injured. He gave me some strong painkillers but when I read the side effects in the leaflet supplied with it I decided I didn't want to take them! Another reason was I would also have to take some other pills to protect my stomach lining! I finally got an appointment to see a physio at the local hospital for today only for it to be cancelled and rescheduled for 2 weeks time. On a positive note I have started walking my dog again which is a step back to normality. It is going quite well and I take 2 crutches with me, as much to protect my legs from playing dogs rather than because I need their support. All my dog walking friends are being great and shooing the dogs away if they come too close to my leg. I have learned though that I really need to rest the foot for the rest of the day if possible or it becomes very painful. It will be interesting to see what treatment I get from the NHS or whether I will just be given exercises to do. It is very hit and miss which is why I usually go privately for such treatment but I can't afford regular visits to a physio now that I am retired. Having not posted for a week I hope everyone is continuing to progress and seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.