Still chest discomfort

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

This has been something occuring on and off but this werid chest discomfort alway seems to never fully go away. Like some days, even weeks  I'll feel fine, but then this discomfort always on the left side of my chest over my left pectoral/ over the heart area always feels like something is kinda "pulling" it. It get very annoying and it's hard to concentrate or lay down at night when feeling it. Always freaks me out that something bad is going on with my heart or something.

I always find when messing with the doses of either my Thyroid meds or my iron pills it seems to help make it feel better or make it worst, but not sure which one is connected to it. I used to be anemic, but my doctor told me I'm not anemic no more and shouldn't need the iron pills anymore. I used to take 25 mgs a day, then down to every other day, and now not takng them. I have also increased my meats by alot tho also.

I took a blood test last month when I was taking the iron pills every other day. Here are the results:

THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10.      Range(  <35 kIU/L

VITAMIN B12 962. pmol/L

FERRITIN 68.            Range( 12 - 105 ug/L

TSH 55.10                Range ( 0.35 - 5.00 mIU/L) H

T4 FREE 9               Range( 12 - 22 pmol/L) L

FREE T3 5.2             Range ( 2.6 - 5.7 pmol/L

FOLATE, SERUM 23      Range ( > 10 nmol/L

CRP 1.8                         Range (< 8.0 mg/L

The results showed that my TSH was very High, 55.1  and my T4 at 9.  Since then I have upped my WP thyroid meds. Currently I take a whole 32 mg in the morning and one half and  quarter of a 32 mg at lunch time/noon on an empty stomach. Not sure if I'm getting the chest discomfort cause my Tsh is too high.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

WP is a NDT medication. It comes from pigs (porcine). Pigs have much higher T3:T4 ratio than humans. So when you increase your meds, your T3 could be disproportionately high. The high T3 can cause heart palpitations and anxiety.

Not sure if that helps. But if you think back on the history of your meds and dosing, related to your pain you might see a pattern.

• Posted

Well even when I lowered my dose, I was still having on and off chest discomfort. In my last blood results my TSH was so low, the T3 was in normal range. I'm hoping it's not the NDT meds cause regular levo was horrible for me.

• Posted

I'm Hashimoto's and for the meds to be right, my TSH was undetectable. This is not uncommon. However, your situation needs to consider your thyroid surgery into the equation.

I experienced various palpitations, pressures, etc both on and off the meds. It seems thyroid disease is often paired with heart problems and stomach issues. Who knows which causes what. My point is you might want to consider all aspects of your health, one by one. It takes a while. But when you do figure it out, you feel better. Often, when things don't make sense it's because there's more than one problem.

• Posted

Hi again, not sure if I was clear on this. If your rT3 or thyroid antibodies are high, your T3 gets inactivated, essentially resulting in low T3, even if your bloodwork shows normal. So this could cause heart palpitations.  There's a formula out there for dosing for high rT3 based on blood work, but it's really only a starting point.

Then, the whole time I was on the meds (all of them, but worse with the levo), I had horrible anxiety.

• Posted

Hi! I have hypothyroid and I have been having the same experiences, I am not sure why as well, but I get the pain that you describe about near my heart. I take 50mg and still feel it every now and then so I do not think that its because of your medication going up. 
    • Posted

Yeah it's really hard to pinpoint where it's comming from. Alot of people think it's due to palpitations tied to either to low of iron, to high or low thyroid, or even hormone imbalance. Right now I'm thinking it might be tied to my level range still being in a slighty hypothryoid range and I'm noticing the discomfort gets worst when I lay down or don't move as much. So might have something to do with low blood pressure too. Who knows. But I'm really want it figured out and solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.