Still exhausted after my 1st Diverticulitis attack :(

Posted , 77 users are following.

Hi all

I had my very first Diverticulitis attack last week, which culminated in me spending 2 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics.  Not an unusual story, I know smile   I'm now on a 10 day oral antibiotic regime and liquids (smoothies, soups, etc)    I can't find any information on is how long will this exhaustion last.  I'm so dead tired I can't stand it!!

Is a week normal for still being this tired?  Longer?

TIA

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I am so relieved to find this site . I am 76 and have just had my first attack . I think it was caused by trauma and exhaustion. I s that possible? I recovered with antibiotics but am so fatigued. I walk like a ninety year old three weeks later ! My doctor said it would take six weeks which I didnt believe . I have been to a naturopath and am on herbs and supplements . Also taking CBD oil. Anyone tried that ?

I am confised about food . Cooking all veg. I used to eat salad twice a day. Will

I ever eat a salad again . Making loads of veg soup and stir fries and tofu is good .

Using physlium husks fir constipation and probiotics and magnesium . Thanks for all the advice especially fed up with the

exhaustion !

• Edited

I'm following the replies. I'm so sorry and hope you feel better soon. I too am shocked after 1 week to still be struggling. I don't have any guidance on my diet and am unsure how to proceed without harming myself or setting myself back. Keep us posted on your recovery and good luck to you!

• Posted

Oh Dena...Sooo glad to have found this site. I was just diagnosed for 1st time 9/1/20 through a CT. Been on (2) rounds of Antibiotics...which have really torn up my gut. Still have (4) days left on 2nd round of Antibiotics...& also taking Nystatin for Thrush...& take a Probiotic. Still small loose stools & now being tested for C-diff. I'm 72 yrs old...have never had sooo much problem bouncing back from anything. Yes...the Depression & Exhaustion are oh sooo real. I'm thinking I may just need to quit my job of 19yrs...I just can't commit when I can return. I am being referred to a Surgeon consultation this coming Thursday....which isn't helping my anxiety. I just can't believe how difficult this all is ! Anyway, encouraging to read comments on this site. Thank you...& God help us !

• Posted

Diagnosed with my first ever episode of diver one week ago last Sunday and still feeling extremely exhausted. Is this normal? My poop is still dark and just not feeling well. How long does it take to feel somewhat "normal"?

TIA

• Posted

I've been off work a month now after a diverticulitis infection. I still feel completely exhausted

• Edited

had my first diverticulitis attack may 19. I'm still so weak. totally exhausted. doctors cant find anything wrong but I honestly dont feel like moving. it's been 2 months! has this happened to anyone else? if so any suggestions on feeling better

• Posted

Is feeling shaky normal after a severe bout with diverticultis ?

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed by CT when urologist ruled out kidney stone or bladder infection. The pain was awful. I am totally exhausted and thought it was just me so I am happy to ready this is somewhat normal. Not sure what to eat and doc's advice is different depending on specialty. At 65, I didn't really need one more thing to deal with. Glad I found forum.

• Posted

Just did a google search for exhaustion after hospitalization with diverticulitis. Found this forum and glad to read I am not alone. Went to ER on 3/7 with pain and had perforation. Went home on 3/12 with 5 more days of ABX. Today is the 24th and I am still exhausted! So tired, no appetite, and feel wiped out!

• Posted

Dena,I was told I had very large diverticulitis pouches.No information, just "Don't get constipated!"

pain is life changing..

• Posted

yes, so true my GI still with the no seeds/ nuts -went for surgical consult -opposite advice ugh.

• Posted

im 42 and had my first attack 3 days ago. I ate popcorn twice in the last 3 weeks in idk how many years.. the pain came on quickly and my hubby drove me to ER. My blood pressure was super low from dehydration, 89/55. They wanted to give me morphene for pain but gave me 2 Liters fluid and waited for bp to come back up before administering pain meds. CT scan revealed diagnosis. no perforation, which im happy after reading others comments. sent home same day with antibiotics and trying to stick to liquid diet. made it 3 whole days before i ate some potato soup. my liquid diet consists of bone broth from Dr KellyAnn. it is packed with protein but i feel the fatigue as carbs are not in my diet yet. i have already cried twice feeling very scared and wondering how to overcome and heal. the bloating is what bothers me, most pain had subsided until i ate the potato soup. i am so sacred i will set myself back. i hate the bloating and i see good info on how to avoid that here. still have 8 days remaining on antibiotics for recheck. i was hoping to eat some fish or something soon. day 4 i broke down and shared some crab with my hubby. i was bloated immediately. so uncomfortable snd then i read crab is hard to digest to now im freaking out. back to clear liquids for a few days just to be sure. this is all so new to me and im happy to have this forum.

• Posted

i have been suffering with my first flare up for almost three weeks and am still on liquids! Everytime i try piece of dried toast i really suffer with extreme pain and rather than risk that again, go back to liquids . How long will this go on? Quite scary whilst waiting for CT scan . i would appreciate anybody's advice. BTW, why no milk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.