Still experiencing difficulties at 0.05mg of mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

It has taken 17 long months but I am finally down to 0.05mg on mirtazapine.

I have to keep going lower as each time I try to come off it becomes unbearable.

I am still, even at this dose, experiencing really bad withdrawls. I am scared I will never be rid of it.

Has anyone else had to go so low before and how did they feel?

Has anyone gone lower?

Thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am just starting my taper down from 7.5 now.  Can you tell me what your withdrawals were and how theynhave affected you?  Have you started a new anti dep to replace it?
    • Posted

Hi Ann,

Withdrawls for me are always feeling light headed, heart pulp stations and stomach cramps.

It had been horrendous. Have found life very difficult.

I have not started new AD because this whole experience has put me right off them. Will not touch another one ever.

But that is only my experience. Everyone is different.

If you have any problems just keep talking to your doctor.

• Posted

Thanks Andy, i hope it doesnt take me so many months to come off.  I dont want any more of these drs poison.  Hope i dont need it.  

I assume you dont have depression and anxiety anymore so dont need treatment.

• Posted

Hi ann:  What is the name of the new antidepressant you are taking.  I'm contemplating taking Cymbalta after I taper down to 5 mgs. Mirt. 

Thanx

• Posted

Hi Andy , my gp took me off mirtazapine cold turkey 18 days ago ( I was on it for 3 months) amd put me on fluoxetine 7 days 10mg and then its my day 10 on 20mg. Since stopping mirtazapine I feel constant nasuea, anxiety,tremors, dizzines, but it could be both things side effects amd withdrawl. I had few bad days when anxiety was burning my whole body and nasuea was making me sick, one day I just laid in bed and couldnt get my thoughts together and thought I was going crazy. But with a help of sickness pills and some benzos I survived (hopefully the worst is behind me but withdrawl likes coming in waves grrr)its getting better now, just having awful stomach cramps and nasuea , I can manage anxiety for now. I come off mirtazapine cause it was making me a diffirent person, felt more depressed and anxious.
    • Posted

Hi aga,

Generally you should always taper when coming off an AD. Having said that I have never switched from one to another.

Keep strong. As I keep telling myself stay with it and it will get better.

Mirtazapine is a fairly strong drug so I think you are doing the right thing.

• Posted

Hi Andy , yes I know I should taper but my doc didnt think so and didnt want to prescribe me more so I could do it myself. When I asked him about witdrawl he looked at me with smirk and said' do you think you are going to have withdrawl?' On which I replied that I dont know, Im not a doctor but I read on internet about crosstapering. He just blanked me and left me without anything. Next day I went to see diffirent gp and she prescribed me fluoxetine to start taking right away. My doctors arent really supportive and dont listen to me. One day when I was feeling really ill I went to see my gp again and explained to him how am I feeling , that anxiety is off the chart etc and he just said that its my condition. I told him that I know my body and this is not normal anxiety. He blanked me again and I nearly had to beg him to prescribe me antisickness pills. No understanding or reasuring me that I might suffer with side effects of fluoxetine and withdrawl. If it wasnt for this forum Id be doomed. And if it wasnt for my mum who sent me some benzos I would really be in agony.

• Posted

I really feel for your agony. But you are in good company here. Just stay strong and give the fluoxetine time to work.

It is all these reasons though that I want to be clean of them myself.

It's not easy without them. But for me it's an easier route than dealing with the problems on them. But that is very much a personal choice.

• Posted

Hi Andy,

This forum is littered  with stories like yours relating to Mirtazapine withdrawal. It is very difficult and you have my deepest sympathy.  Have you thought of starting on a different antidepressant..,e.g citalopram or fluoxetine. With such a low dosage of Mirt I dont think it would be irresponsible to try something else. I know you probably think its failure to keep on AD's long term and I am not promoting drug companies products but sometimes you just have to try and dig yourself out of the immediate trauma you are experiencing.

• Posted

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have tried many AD's but I simply do not get on with them. Either they take your personality away or they have terrible side effects.

I have got this far I have to keep going.

• Posted

Hello Andy

How long were you on mirt and how did you taper?

I have been on mirt for 8years, 30mg.

I just started tapering 5 weeks ago cutting at 10% reduction.

Am now at 22.5mg

• Posted

Hi Charles,

I was at 30mg for 5 months and tapered @ 30% every 4 weeks. Which has been hard but I have just about coped.

• Posted

Hi Charles, have you had any side effects of 10% withdrawal?  I am trying 10% from 7.5 and feeling awful, thr nightmares are the worst and nauseA.. the farigue is not any better.
    • Posted

Hello Ann

So far for me is still ok. Am just at 22.5.

How do you reduced your 10%? Were you better on 7.5?

10% of 7.5 should be 6.75. Are you using liquid or cutting?

• Posted

I am awful, been on 7.5 for a while, cutting down but very agitated.  Never been well since starting it, just managing. Want off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.