Still feel bit ropey - 8 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi - im 8 weeks post op for a TLH and BSO - or put more simply - removal of my entire reproductive system using laproscopic surgery!!!! im left with what is called a vaginal cuff.im doing light housework (did clean bathroom today) - not lifting or carrying anything but feeling tired afterwards with stomach ache after but not severe but uncomfortable and have had to take painkillers. is this a normal part of the recovery?

i would appreciate any advice.

thank you.

Lara

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi Lara

yiu are brave my friend 😂 I did nothing u til 12 weeks just to be sure I didn't strain.

cleaning bathrooms was not in my diary as yiu are bending yiur stomach do if course you will have pain.

I had my tvh 20 mths ago and was so afraid of straining my stitches inside the cuff I made sure I had help with things like that.

if you are in pain its yiur body telling yiu to stop and rest. yiu have had major surgery and lots of cutting and pulling. try and take it easy up to 12 wks as it takes up to that time to make strong scar tissue.

take

• Posted

hi Welshgirl - thanks so much for your reply - yes I make sure i dont overdo it and would stop if pain started. help has not been there from family as other family members are ill also but my partner has been very good.

Lara xx

• Posted

hi Lara

I am 46 and almost 8 weeks post op, same op as you.

i have another 4 weeks off work and like you I still do not feel 100%.

i too still have some pain. I had some bladder trauma during the surgery and still having problems passing urine. I am also still bleeding. Apparently i am not healing well internally and have a CT scan booked for next week to see what is going on. (possibly a complication from the bladder trauma during the op) My consultant says i must not lift anything or do anything strenuous - tricky as my husband works away and I have four children. My husband could only take a week off work to help after the operation and we have no family locally but I have been really careful to take things as easy as possible. thankfully I don't have any menopausal symptoms yet

make sure you listen to your body, don't rush your recovery and make sure you rest plenty, it takes energy for your body to heal. Also make sure your bowels are working well as constipation can hinder your recovery.

take care and best wishes for the rest of your recovery

• Posted

HI there - so sorry to hear of your post op problems - i did have a skin infection which took ages to resolve and a bladder infection where i passed blood but starting to feel stronger slowly - it must be so hard for you with 4 children to look after and its a pity yr husband could only take a week off work - thats really mean of his employer!!! hope yr problems get sorted soon - i went for a recent scan due a knobbly lump near my incision - that was okay but they found gallstones by accident!! by the way my op was to get rid of endo cancer stage and grade 1a (early stages and now gone). i think the best advice i can give and live by whilst healing is listen to yr body and if there's pain - stop what u are doing and rest. you really need a family member or friend to come and stay with you for a while so you can relax

and get through this bad time.

Wishing you well with yr recovery

Lara xx

• Posted

Lara, sorry to hear but after reading your symptoms, I have the same thing. I'm in week 5 now from TLH and I don't think I'm doing too much. Just super light cleaning, loading/unloading dishwasher - one dish at a time... light dusting and wiping. I haven't done any vacuuming or anything at all strenuous and total pain after too. I came off painkillers right after 2 week post op appointment with doctor - but the past few days, I've had to starting taking them again. When you say stomach ache, do you mean like pain near bellybutton area? That's where I'm feeling the most pain, near that port. I'm so discouraged because I was hoping to go back to work next week but I don't think I'll be ready yet. I still need to lay down after doing anything light.

• Posted

hi there - yes ive had pain after any activity and walking and had to take painkillers (and felt tired) im 8.5 weeks post op now and feel i have now turned a corner - - the pain has lessened alot now (fingers crossed) but when i have the pain mine was more of a blanket type pain across the whole of my tummy. But at the beginning , and for about 6 to 7 weeks after my operation i had pain everywhere and also sharp pains in my groin area - that pain has gone now. you are still at an early stage of yr recovery - i would contact yr GP or consultant as that is what i did when i was worried about something relating to the operation. also going back to work after 5 weeks seems very early - the advice for this operation that i was given was to be off work for 8 to 12 weeks and no serious exercising until 12 weeks - i will be going back to work at 10 weeks fingers crossed!! and even then will be going back on a phased return.

rest when you need to and when you have pain. if the pain near yr belly button continues - seek reassurance and im sure its the area healing and it may have gotten more bruised during the operation.

hope this helps.

Best wishes for a good recovery !!!!

Lara xxx

• Posted

hi my name is mya, i was wondering did your pain get better by 12 weeks. i have a post op appointment 8 weeks but my belly button hurts so much very tender and right side of belly. i still cant use pants so much pain and uncomfortable feeling.. belly is very very tender... please if you have any advice i would appreciate it..

• Posted

hi - sorry for late reply - yes my abdominal pain got alot better by 12 weeks - 8 weeks is still early days - so dont panic and talk about your pains with your consultant xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.