Still feeling awful on Mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone how are you all? well i still feel awful on mirtazapine on since july 2013 15mg, helps sleep thats it! Just feel awful all day and normal about 2 hours in evening, i have been debating for a while as whether to come of them completely as dont think can tolerate medication anymore, i am also coeliac so very prone to low iron which maybe affects things?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Colleen, I think you've given the mirtazapine a fair go!  Have you spoke to your doctor about dose increase or change in medication?  Is your diagnosis depression? X
  • Posted

I agree with gen.  Have you always been on only 15mg? If Mirtazipine doesn't give you difficult side affects a dose increase may do the trick. 
  • Posted

Hi Colleen

When you say awful what do you mean?  I'm on 45 mg, get a good nihjt's sleep but have constant palpitations and depression throughout the day, despie taking diazepam ab beta lockers to stop my heart racing.  I become "normal" about 8 pm, go to bed at 12 and the whole cycle starts up the next day.  Someone asked what joy I had in my life and the answer is none.  I'm at the end of my tether as I just don't know what to do.  I just want to put my head under the duvet during the day but try to force myself to do things in the afternoon and evening but fel like a robot.  I've also out on 2 stones I. Weight I. 4 months which adds to the depression and has affected my appetite as psychologically I don't want to eat as I don't want to put on any more weight.  The advice I have is keep myself busy, go for a walk and eat little and often which is no h,El.

• Posted

Hi, Nessie, you have been feeling unwell for sometime now, I think it's time you took a visit to your GP.  I was on 45mg of Mirt but I'm coming off them now which isn't very pleasant . In my oppinion they are not helping you at all, so you should go back to your GP and see what he can suggest.  It's no good just plodding on do something about it.  I take Diazapam and they do help you withdraw from Mirt. But please go and get yourself sorted.  Take Care
    • Posted

Hi norma

i'm frightened to come off the 'Mirtazapine because at least I sleep at night.  It's the palpitations during the day that are the problem and 2 x 40 mg Propanol (beta locker) and diazepam can't keep me calm until the stuff works and by 6-7 pm, I'm OK till the next day when it all starts up again.  I was on Trasadone as an alternative to  Mirtazapine but whe. The low dose was increased had adverse reactions and also didn't sleep

• Posted

Yes Nessie but you can't spend your life like that, you really must get it sorted.  Perhaps the beta blockers your on aren't suiting you.  Please go back and see your GP and insist in getting your life back to normal.  You deserve that.  Take Care 
    • Posted

Nessie, have you seen a psychiatrist?  They are able to prescribe additional medication.  I take mirtazapine, and like you, wouldn't want to stop because it helps with the sleep but I also take Venlafaxine as although Mirtazapine worked for sleep and anxiety, it did nothing for the depression.

In respect of the propranalol you may find that the 80mg extended release is a better option for you.  As Norma says, go back and speak to someone, it's such a terrible illness and you need to get some more help.  Take care x

• Posted

hi nessie, i was on mirtazapine for 3 years n was the same as in scared to come off them but after a lot of though n speaking to my doctors i started lowering the dosage step by step. i went from 45 to 30 then 15 then i stopped, i done this over a 6 week period...sorry i never done it sooner now i feel great tbh best ive felt in years....i havent even suffered any side effects so far which i was worrying about after what i'd read the only thing is for the first few days i hardly slept  but nearly 2 weeks on even thats fine now...hope this answers your question n puts your mind at rest....you will be fine
  • Posted

Hi Colleen, 6 months is long enough to see if a drug works. If it's doing you no God go and see your GP. The longer you stay on this drug the harder it is to come off.  So if it's doing no good go back to your GP.  Beleive me I'm talking from experience you will find it harder to get off if you leave it.   See if your GP can help you with something that works for you.  Good Luck and Take Care 
  • Posted

Thats strange Colleen, i too have coeliacs among other things. Only blood test which is abnormal is low heamaglobin. I too take 15mg of mirt since sept 14 . I too cant function and feel dreadful . So dizzy and lifeless. My doc wont give me anything else as i have tried most anti ds and had bad adverse reactions on all of them.
  • Posted

Hey colleen65022!

I agree with the other comments; you've certainly given the15mg Mirtazapine a sufficient try, and, if you feel awful all day, I would suggest a visit & talk with your GP, I would assume it doesn't suit you so it's possibly time for a change. We all have so many variants that make us individual & dictates if any one type of medication works for us or not, maybe being coeliac is adversely affecting your situation. Don't suffer in silence, GP's maybe health professionals but you know how you feel & how you're body & mind are reacting to the meds better than anyone. If it's any consolation I take 30mg of Mirtazapine daily & also don't begin feeling normal until a few hours before bedtime, maybe it's a common complaint as well as obviously being ironic; we all start feeling slightly better but then it's bedtime!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.