Still feeling sick after gallbladder removal

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, it will be 8 weeks this week since my gallbladder removal. I’m still feeling very nauseous and sick most of the day. Still not eating much and I’m weak and fatigued. I’m trying hard to stay positive that things will get better and not let my mind worry that it won’t. It’s staring to really take a toll on me. I haven’t been able to work. It’s very depressing at times. I’m usually a very positive and cheerful person but it’s making me feel very low. I do try and do things and keep mobile. I do eat some and take vitamins and try and drink a lot of water. I’ve had all kinds of tests and they have all come back ok. I worry they’ve missed something. I just don’t understand why some people bounce back after this surgery soon after and others suffer from it for a longer period of time. Just looking for some positive words and other people’s experiences of recovery. It helps me to know if t does get better for others. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi there

Been a bit nauseaus this week again, trouble is that since the surgery my GERD and gastritis have come back!! not great as i struggle to eat even more. still on the bland diet, getting bored of it now and want a Chinese or Thai meal!!!!

I did call my consultant about the nausea and he explained that instead of bile being squirted into the stomach as needed before it now drips in constantly hence tummy is not happy! he stressed this will settle but up to six months. better to eat several small meal/snacks to give the stomach something to work on, even dry toast.

How are u?

all the best

• Posted

Awww...the nausea is the worst isn't it.? Sorry to hear you're still going through this. It's a long hard journey for some of us. 😦 What kind of foods are you eating now? Do you take any medicine or vitamins daily?

• Posted

hiya

The menu is limited!! soup of all kinds, no cream and no tomato as a bit acidic. dry toast, oatmeal, weetabix, almond milk, blueberries, nannas, oears, stewed apple etc. steamed veg, white fish, etc etc.

I take a probiotic every day and drink aloe vera juice. Ginger tea, various herbal teas.

cheers!

• Posted

hey i know its been years, but i just am coming off 4 weeks from my gallbladder removal surgery & although most days i feel fine, once every 5-7 days i feel sick to my stomach for a long portion of the day. I feel ya on the mental strength it takes to stay positive at those times as I've broken down far more times than i would have ever wanted to & not many people i know can begin to relate. My nausea is getting better over all, but the regurgitation is still occurring. I really hope to get this worked out soon, but I hope things worked out for you.

• Posted

I know this is an old post. I hope someone reads it. I am nine weeks post op. My gallbladder was full of stones, the HIDA test showed 15% function. When it was removed it was infected, covered in scar tissue and inflamed. It's no wonder I'd been feeling horrible, even though for a few months my doctor kept saying I was just having anxiety and I needed to calm down. Anyway, here we are now. The surgeon said that when a gallbladder is removed for just stones people do recover quickly but when the gallbladder is infected it can take as much as six months to feel good again. I am puzzled because some days I can eat almost normally but other day even a small bland meal makes me so nauseated I feel terrible for hours.

I also still have pain both where my gallbladder was and in the general surgical area. Again, the surgeon says it was not an easy surgery and it will be months to feeling good. I completely understand the postings that say it is hard to stay positive. Has anyone else had pain and nausea for months after their surgery? Thank you.

• Posted

I too am feeling terrible. Now 3 wks plus after gallbladder removal. nauseous week and lethargic. Also tingling sensations in extremities. Still slight discomfort on right flank. Been to hospital twice. Cat scans blood tests with no answers. Praying for strength and a better tomorrow. . Keeping positive can be hard but all things are possible with God.

• Posted

Hello, I am sorry you are experiencing that. how are you feeling now? i hope you are doing well and feeling better. i had my gallbladder taking out on january 6th and sometimes i do feel sick, some days i dont have an appetite, I get full fast, and ive been struggling with constipation for a few weeks now. the beginning of the 4 weeks i was fine it was easy to use the restroom, but lately ive noticed that if i have more fiber in my diet im able to use the restroom i just wish it wasnt such a struggle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.