still feeling terrible

Posted , 4 users are following.

so i had lots of help and advice from people on here yesterday,thanku for that,im still as i was yesterday -anxiety at an all time high due to the constant tingly/numb feet, face and left hand it drove me crazy yesterday and ive been panicking a little more than usual that its ms,im trying desperately to think positively so my question is-would ms even make both sides of my face (mainly cheeks)constantly numb,chin and lips tingly,and bottom of both feet tingle and my left hand is numb/tingly all the time,is it even a pattern that sounds like ms? my knees also tinglehelp pls,seriously panicky today

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I had similar issues a few years ago.. I started getting pins and needles in my hands, moved up to my arms.. then I started having muscle twitching even in my neck area..it scared me and I got every test in the book. All normal..the more I stopped focusing on it the better it got.. you're brain will do crazy things when you constantly think about something like ms.. you have to stop thinking about it and get your mind else where.. those symptoms are also that if a pulled or strained muscle or pinched nerve..carpel tunnel and on of the big symptoms of anxiety.. if you Google symptoms you are sure to get scared.. mind over matter honey, as hard as it is.. you have to tell yourself its not ms. Anxiety is powerful and will have your mind tricked into thinking something is really wrong..
  • Posted

No, this doesn't sound like MS. I've been in a diagnostic trajectory for MS earlier this year, and I can tell you it involves much more symptoms than just tingling. There are many illnesses of which tingling/numbness is a symptpom, but the most frequent one is hyperventilation.

Since you are anxious I suspect your breathing is out of whack, causing your complaints. I don't know which advice you already got yesterday, but doing something relaxing, like taking a hot bath or going for a long walk in the countryside could be a good start. Also breathing exercises can be very helpful, though these might be to much of a challenge for you right now. If you feel like it anyway, set your mind to learning the breathing exercises mentioned on the bottom right of this page. It could take a few days to really start to feel the benefits, but I can tell you they are very effective.

I hope you can do something nice for yourself today, and that it will become better than how it started off, take care.

• Posted

thanks for your kind words,my face and hand feels so wierd i cant be calm about it,does it really not sound like ms?i have been diagnosed with chronic health anxiety but struggling to accept cos of the numbness/tingling,right at this min my cheeks are numb ,the rest of face is tingly,ear feels wierd and prickly and 3 fingers are numb/tingling like mad x
    • Posted

You're welcome Sarah. It doesn't sound like MS at all, it sounds a lot like hyperventilation though.

I had hyperventilation myself in the far past, and know how uncomfortable this tingling feels, and that it makes you think there is something seriously wrong with you. Which makes the hyperventilation even worse, causing even more tingling, etc.

It's a vicious circle which you can't easily break on your own. Medication doesn't help much in this, you need to learn some tricks from a psychologist and get some emotional support. It's good to read you are going to see a psychologist,  I hope you will feel better soon. Again; do something nice for yourself, you need it. Distract yourself and stop focusing on your body, it doesn't help you at all. Get away from your PC rightn now and go outside for a walk with your little one. You both will benefit from it.

Wish you all the best.

• Posted

youre very kind linda thanku i dont really understand much about hyperventilation,can you be doing it all the time and not realise ?x
    • Posted

Indeed you can be hyperventilating all the time without knowing it. Many people think of someone breathing heavily when it comes to hyperventilation, but slightly over breathing is also a form of hyperventilation which is actually even more common. Most people with anxiety issues do this, without being aware of it. It's a rather nasty symptom of anxiety disorders, since it reinforces the disorder.

Ask your psychologist to teach you how to restore your natural breathing, I'm sure you will feel so much better once you start doing that:-).

• Posted

Watch this video on you tube.. it's called the relationship between breathing and anxiety. It explains how proper breathing techniques can help with anxiety and the symptoms.. I posted on here a week or so ago about how I was experiencing shortness of breath that came on very suddenly. It lasted for about six days before I put it together that it was probably anxiety..somehow I had become so focused on the fact that I couldn't breath that I completely threw off my normal breathing patterns.. I didn't even know that was possible.. in the video it says that when in a state of anxiety our breathing changes and sometimes in an attack we feel as though we aren't getting proper air so we start taking deeper breaths without even knowing it.. breathing through your mouth actually triggers the fight or flight mechanism and that will increase heart rate and make you feel as if you are in a panic mode.. it's wwhat continued to happen to me over and over and I would try to control my breathing and it made it harder and harder to feel as if I was breathing properly.. Literally felt as though I had a elephant on my chest and I couldn't take a satisfying breath.. Mr litman goes on to say that when your breathing gets thrown from its original natural state you are actually in a form of hypervenelation that can last quite a long time. It wasn't until I watched his video and made myself believe it was anxiety and started practising his techniques that I got some relief.. I haven't had any shortness of breath since.. I went and had test after test run in the almost two weeks of this shortness of breath and all was normal..it felt as real as any serious illness and to me it was real.. I had two doctors and a team of emergency responders tell me it was anxiety and even then believing it was still hard.. I have been feeling much better..the doctor did up my lamictal and gave me some antibiotics just to make sure it wasn't worsened by allergies.. I had all the symptoms you have mentioned.. pins and needles.. tingling.. it started as suddenly as the breathing did.. and once I convinced myself it was anxiety it went away..
    • Posted

thanks for that,and where did you experience the pins and needles?i also have a little twitch near my chin thst has just started,i can see it in the mirror and its freaking me out right now
  • Posted

It is your anxiety playing tricks with your mind,

If you are still concerned go and get a full medical

• Posted

3 doctors have told me its not ms,why cant i trust them ,its like i always feel like i havent explained it properly to them so theyre missing something
    • Posted

I think its safe to say its your health anxiety playing tricks

I know its not easy but you have to get that switch in your brain retrained because it telling you your in danger when your not and thats causing your anxiety.

Consider therapy it teaches you how to cope if you have already tried CBT then try a more rebust form of therapy.

Stay Strongcheesygrin

• Posted

im waiting for therapy ,its like when all this started i just had tingly feet,i could cope with that when they said it was anxiety,it made sense im a mum of 8 so life is always stressful at that point i didnt even consider ms,i just tried to be calm,then the face thing started,then the hand and thats when i started to panic-and google!since then its never stopped its simply got worse,im on lots of medication and even when i think im calm none of my symptoms stop,so constant cycle of numb/tingly panic fear and everything else

• Posted

The tinglng is annoying but its just one of hundreds of anxiety symptoms.Just as you get rid of one another appears.

Personally when my tingling started I thought it was a stroke I was having and I went to a and e then I thought I was having a heart attack with chest pain took myself off to a and e again.All was clear

I was also afraid of collapsing at home and no one finding me but now after a meds change and therapy I can see light at the end of the tunnel and you will to.

Stay Strongcry

• Posted

thanku lynne i do feel slightly better now,did you experience numbness too? im also costantly like jittery which is horrible if im up at school or in shops,i look similar to an alchoholic that needs a drink and im very worried about what others are thinking of me
    • Posted

Yes I get numbness to

I know its not easy but I know there is nothing wrong with me so instead of crawling into bed when an attack starts I go for a brisk walk I reassure my self its psychosimatic and I know it sound corney but learning to breathe properly helps loads

You will get there its just teaching your brain your not in danger

Stay Strongcheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.