Still feeling the waves after kayaking and dock

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

Recently I went in a cottage with friends. The cottage was at the border of a lake, with a dock and kayaks and stuff.

I’ve always had problems with motion sickness, especially with boats, floating docks, elevators, helicopters, etc. No problems with cars and I never took the airplane.

So at the cottage, we arrived last Monday and we went on the dock. I wasn’t at ease on it but I haven’t had any problems whatsoever that day. So on Tuesday, I decided to take a chance and go kayaking on the lake. No problems afterwards. I did a bunch of activities and I was feeling well. But before bedtime, I started feeling the waves, like a rocking sensation and it was really unpleasant.

It’s been like that since and I have difficulty walking. And it’s not the first time it happens. Back in 2016, I went on a dock for about 30 minutes. Again, no worries during the day, but before bedtime, waves were back and at that time, it was way worse. I had much worse vertigo following that, lasted 3 weeks without being able to go out, unable to walk, etc. 

What can I do about it? Any remedies to overcome it ASAP? Any tricks to get my land legs back?

I’ve seen my doctor in 2016, he got me to a cerebral scan; nothing. I went to see an ENT; nothing. 

Anything?

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Look at Mal de Dembarqument syndrome ( Mdds in short ) sounds like this is what you have developed . It's feeling like your on a boat ,bouncing on a trampoline to walk ,trying to walk through a train or a bus whilst on the move . In a car if you drive you don't feel that motion . There are FB sites that help with info from others with this sad condition . Hope this helps ,it's a lonely condition as is others . I've to have this condition for 8 yrs now . Message me if you want the site names they do a lot of research into Mdds , it's little known about to ENT's and GP's . 

• Posted

Marlene, I do not have mdds but I've experienced it in the past. I'm curious since you mention you've had it a long time and know sites that research it- is there any treatment ( even that works for some)? Do they know if the source is brain or inner ear? Thank you ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.