Still feeling tired and weak all the time!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi again,

I just wonder if any of you could help me with some options since I dont know what to do anymore.

I am with IDA since August. I started with 2 tablets of ferrous femourate 210 mg a day.

In December I was still feeling without strenght and went back to the GP. I repeated the blood tests and from having 13 I was with 17 sad

She told me to take 3 x a day the same tablets.

I had my period in the last days and today I woke up completely miserable, feeling tired, my legs shaking and my heart is beating faster.

I presume Im not getting better.

I will be back to the gp in 2 weeks to repeat the blood tests, but I dont think that will be much higher.

What can we do in these cases? When the tablets of Ferrous Fumarates dont work?

I'm so afraid that there is anything that can be done, and I will continue to fell like this.

Thanks,

Any

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

do you take them with orange juice that helps ..

there are stronger tablets and if the tablets don't work you can have an infusion of iron at your gps .. Intravenously.. Which really works ..so I am told by friends who can't absorb the iron via tablets .. 

I would go back to your GP sooner ... 

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks for your help.

yes normally I take it with orange juice.

The gp told me to wait 6 weeks until new blood test, but its just in 2 weeks and I feel weak.

I wish I could take the infusio intravenously, I think probably would be only way to feel better quicker. But maybe that type of treatment its only for some types of IDA.

thanks for your help.

• Posted

I have IDA too really heavy periods back in July had 14 days with 7 where I was basically haemorrhaging well it felt like it went to GP .. Blood test scan... Blood test blood count 8 I think should be 12 ... Not sure on this .. Stored iron reserves 9 percent should be 30 .. So got put on ferrous sulphate 200mg 3 times a day ..symptoms were severe fatigue heart pounding when I just walked , palpitations , itchy skin, lost sense of taste a little , headache and slight nausea...next period was heavy again but 7 days then after 6 weeks energy back symptoms abated ..blood test haemaglobin 12 reserves 12 ..and my next period wasn't heavy ...my GP said anaemia makes them heavy vicious circle ... Then my tummy got sensitive so I stopped taking iron tablets ...slap wrist ..guess what happened 14 day period end of November .. So back on tablets Dec 1st ..next period 1 week ..and now 6 weeks on my energy has returned all my symptoms which I got back have abated ... This time must take iron tablets for 6 months ...

hope that helps ..with timing 

• Posted

Thanks ,

In my case I dont really have heavy periods.

I will wait for the app with the GP (if I dont get worse), and see what she says.

Thanks,

• Posted

Hi Any, there are definitely other types of iron supplement that you can take that are far better in the absorption arena. Have a chat with the pharmacist in that regard and ask which iron has better and quicker absorption. Also, be sure to take your iron with Vitamin C (1000mg preferably). Some irons recommend on an empty stomach but that is usually a very difficult feat as iron is quit nauseating. There are some irons that can be taken with food. I am taking ferrous polysaccaride, which can be taken with food. It is also a high dose so I only need to take one.

You mentioned 17. I'm not sure if you meant that was your ferritin level or your hemoglobin level . If it is your ferritin (stored iron) it is rather low. If it is your hemolglobin level it is terribly low.  Be patient; ferritin levels can take a very long time to increase. 

Also, be sure to get your B12 levels checked, as it may be low as well. B vitamins are water soluble, your body will use what it needs and your will urinate the rest out so even if you start taking B12 before seeing a doctor they are completely safe to take. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much,

I will discuss it with my gp in my next appt.

17 is my ferritin level.

Thanks again,

Any

• Posted

Hi again,

So I repeated the blood tests but the level of iron was quite the same.

I feel exausted. This time the GP told me to try 3 x per day 2 tablets of Ferrous Gluconate 300 mg. (I was taking 1 ferrous fumarate 210 mg x 3 per day).

I've been taking these new ones since a week ago, but I dont feel any difference for now.

Im supposed to go back in 1 month to repeat the blood tests and new appt with gp.

Does anyone tried this kind of iron? do you think is better?

I'm getting a little desperate here.

I feel so tired and my legs continue feeling heavy and shaking.

Aprecciate some help.

Thanks,

any

• Posted

Hi Any - I know it is very hard to be patient but increasing ferritin levels is a long journey. I used ferrous gluconate and didn't notice much of a difference. Then I switched to ferrous polysacarride and there has been a difference for sure. It is good that you doctor has recommended a higher dose but I would discussion a better form with your pharmacist. Also, be careful to not have coffee, eggs or tea with your iron or within 3 hours of taking it. Tea is particularly bad as it contains tannins which interfere with the absorption of iron.

Try hard to persevere with the supplements because having transfusions can be a slippery slope. One of my friends has had 2 or 3 and 2 of them where very very bad. The infusion part can be tricky.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the answer.

I know i need to patient but im like this since the summer.

I just want to feel well and have some energy.

What can happen with the iron transfusions? is it dangerous?

Thanks again,

any

• Posted

Well, not to scare you but my friend's heart stopped because they transfused her too quickly. Of course, they quickly revived her but it was a very unpleasant experience. Whether the person doing her infusion was inexperienced or not I really don't know. If you need to do that I would request information about the person's capabilities in regards to doing transfusions.

You will feel better in time so try not to get downhearted. Try to think positive and I know that is hard when you don't feel well. But you will see the light.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.