Still have a few thrips

Posted , 2 users are following.

I wash all laundry in hot water and hot rinse. I use 1/2 cup Borax at begin of wash filling, mix well with hot water to avoid lumping and add detergent then. I spray blue window wash over the lint before removing, doesn't kill but aids in removing quickly. Next spray with ammonia on lint trap. I spray inside dryer if I found a couple bites from handling clean clothes. Finding fewer in clean laundry than  before.

Spraying ammonia inside washer after every load, I always allow the ammonia to dry - I don't know what it may do to the clothes.

I bag up everything I wash in Gallon bags if big enough. I bought really big Ziploc bags for blankets, etc. and to keep clothes organized shirts and pants and stuff. I will get cedar blocks & rounds to put in each gallon bag of clothes.

I will change to beech tree fiber bed sheets as they will stand up to the hot water wash without shrinkng because thrips love to lay their eggs on cotton.

If I get into some bites from something I touch somewhere, I spray my arms down with window wash after wetting them down at sink. Then rub in until feeling not bit by them. My skin on my arms feels better and more smooth from the window wash sprayings, not as many bumps as before.

I spray the plants outside that have thrips on them with peppermint soap solution - 1 teaspoon to one quart and spray anywhere in the house where I get some bites during the day. Spraying inside and outside every other day.

I wash with staight peppermint soap on my skin in the shower, then rinse off as soon as I am done with 1\2 my body as it gets a bit tingly if I wait until completely soaped up. I wash my face with the same minty soap at the sink, being careful to not get in eyes.

I will change to a bug killer that prevents them from reproducing; spraying only once with that type later on, after I can cut the bugbit parts of the plants away and clean the whole area up. I will use insect killers only once per type, so they don't become immune.

I will keep after these thrips as I could get Tetanus from them.

I am a lot better, but not "out of the woods" yet. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I add 1/2 cup distilled vinegar to the final rinse.
  • Posted

Hi. Just wondered about thrips. I have them in my yard and house. They bite me all the time. Did you get rid of them?
  • Posted

Is there any way you could email me personally? I can't find anyone else that seems to have a problem with specifically thrips. I would love to speak with you about this as I'm having the same problem and I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.