Still have knee pain 6 months later

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing this: Had TKR on Feb 5, 2018 and MUA on May 4, 2018. My knee was allegedly custom made to fit me (Conformis  brand). Had almost 5 months of outpatient physical therapy and my range of motion at the end of therapy was between 119 and 124. I continue to do exercises at home most days, riding a stationary bike and doing stair exercise and band stretches. My knee seems to be healing slowly. I am a borderline diabetic (under control) on oral medication. Some days it seems like I can really feel the implant when I walk. Its stiff stiff and sore to the point I take 2 Aleve or 2 Tylenol for Arthritis. This helps a bit but Narco helped better. I don't take Narco any longer. I've used the CPM machine ( twice) and also a TENS unit. The TENS unit may or may not have helped !.  My OS recently gave me a special cream (made by a Biomed pharmacy) containing Diclofenac sodium, Gabapenyin, Lidocaine, and Prilocaine in a cream form to rub on my knee 3 times daily. This cream thus far hasn't relieved the pain but only made my incision and the skin on my knee tender & sore, so I don't use it. I know its still quite early in the recovery process but it just feels like I can feel the metal in my implant or like a foreign object is squeezing my flesh inside my knee. Its stiff and uncomfortable most days unless I take pain meds. I  can go up and down stairs. Its easier to go up than down. Most of the time I  go one step at at time going down. I must say my pain is no where near what it was before surgery. I'm beginning to think this is as good as its going to get. My physical therapist said whatever range of motion you have at 6 months, give or take a few degrees, is about what you will have period so I was also wondering if this uncomfortable feeling of stiffness, squeezing and tightness and slight swelling will ever go away or if my diabetes might make my healing process slower. I haven't given up hope and I know everyone heals differently but I hear people report they didn't need any pain  meds after 5 months, etc. I've had X-ray after surgery and my OS says my implant looks good after I questioned whether or not my implant was the correct size for my knee.             

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Lady, My situation is almost identical to yours.  I had my tkr on Jan. 31, 2018.  I never had a MUA, though, I wish I had now.  I guess.  I am also diabetic , on two oral medications.  A1C is ok, not great.  I do think diabetes slows our healing.  My knee is stiff, still hurts all the time. I am taking OTC meds now, which worry me, because they are not safe for long term usage.   I think my bend is 100, but I have read on here that it can get better throughout the first year. I am picked up my medical records today and am going to get a second opinion.  My TKR knee has so leeway when I stretch the skin.  When I stretch the skin on my good knee, the skin moves.  So, what's up with that, I wonder.  Can't wait to see another orthopedist, because the surgeon that did my knee keeps say, NORMAL, oh yes, that's normal, why yes, it's all normal.  BS    

• Posted

Martha, 

We need to stay in touch.. like I said my left knee is giving me trouble.. I work on the bend everyday.. for last 4 1/2 months.  Seems like nothing... I’m not sure I should be screaming when I exercise., which I think is bull.. my doctor didn’t even think I needed the MUA .. so I hope in time it bends better... some people have the bend right away... not sure what I’m doing wrong..

• Posted

Had my tkr on left in May 2018, not much pain now, and working on the bend. My physio says I have some scar tissue and adhesion and she is working also on my sciatica on the same left side of leg and back and hip. See my surgeon at end of month. I worry I might need MUA.
  • Posted

Have a couple of typos on my first post.  Hope you can decipher what I meant to say.  
  • Posted

I had my ltkr on the 15th of February 2017.

It has totally been worth the long hard road of recovery. I have had slow improvement every month. No longer need otcqx pain relief to sleep. Use Meloxicam on the days I need to be on my feet, it is mostly for my right knee. Plan on doing it in September. Keeppwith the strength building and flexibility exercises. The funny/tight feeling in the knee could be due to swelling.

• Posted

I didn’t need any after about 10 weeks,my knee is stiff i mornings etc and I am aware of it ( not all the time) I didn’t ohsio as such , just normal activities and some water aerobics . Maybe you are over doing it . The one I had 7 years ago still feels odd and sore sometimes .  I think what you are experiencing is quite normal , I just was lucky my pain didn’t last as long 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.