Still having pain in urethra after treating UTI. What do I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

25 year old female and never been sexually active. Anyway, after having mild lower back pains that I thought were pains from lifting something heavy it turned out to be a UTI. My doctor then put my on 5 days of ampicillin, but I only got through 3 because it turns out I had an allergic reaction to the drug. So instead of putting me on something else (I have been on antibiotics this year 3x already for different issues) she decided to hold off and retest my urine and culture it again. My lab results came back and it's showing up as more normal now. There are only "traces" of bacteria in my urine and a very small amount of bacteria grew on the culture. Here's the problem. I'm STILL having some mild urethral irritation and burning, as well as mild lower back pains. Plus I'm STILL having pain in my groin area and in the upper part of my pelvis that is just below my stomach. What do I do? It's VERY uncomfortable and it feels like never ending mild irritation. If my lab results are showing MOST of the infection is gone why am I STILLl having discomfort? What do I do? I did contact my doctor but have to wait until Monday get a response.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey everyone,

Just to update you all on my status. I had to go to urgent care on Monday because the UTI pain got really bad to the point I was very nauseous, unable to eat, and plain blah. After testing my urine again it was revealed I still had a UTI. It was either the same partially treated one or a new one. Anyway, I have been put on antibiotics again (Macrobid for 5 days). So far there has been a HUGE difference. I have a day and a half left of it. However, the drug been making me a bit sick. Has anyone ever used this drug? The side effects feel nasty.

• Posted

Also, I forgot to mention. Even though I have been feeling better I'm 4 days in treatment and I am still having a ting of a residual burn down there. It's a tiny amount. Is it still the bacteria or some residual inflammation that needs time to go down?

• Posted

Macrobid is the only drug that truly works for me.  I've never had any side effects and my doctor always gives me 10 day cycles.

• Posted

I would say lingering inflammation.  Stay away from caffeine and acidic foods for awhile.
    • Posted

I will bare that in mind. I've been trying to drink only water and cranberry juice throughout this whole ordeal. I forgot to mention my doctor also prescribed me phenazopyridine for possible urethritis. I haven't started this drug yet as I know I tend to have allergic reactions to antibiotics so I wanted to be on one drug at a time to see how I respond to it. I should probably start taking it soon as I seem to be responding decently to the antibiotics so far.

• Posted

Phenazopyridine isn't a drug, per se.  It's an analgesic which helps with the burning and pain stemming from a UTI.  The only side effect *should be* turning your urine orange or possibly blue.  This analgezic is sold over-the-counter in the United States under the name "Azo" and also in various store brands.

You might want to give thought to putting a hold on the cranberry juice until your active infection is under control and you no longer have the burning.  Cranberry juice is very acidic.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.