Still having pain in week 2 of recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, all! I just had bunion removal surgery on July 3rd, and had my follow up appointment this past Tuesday. My doctor made 3 incisions (one by big toe, one a little further down, and one between my big and second toes). I’m still having a good bit of pain, and my doctor seemed surprised. He originally wrote a prescription for Norco 325 mg and Motrin 800 mg. He’s already had to refill the Norco. I was originally in a splint and bandage, but at my follow up he re-dressed my foot up to about my ankle and put me in a boot. I’m still non weight bearing, though. Anyway, he was expecting me to be off the Norco at this point in my recovery. I try to just take the Motrin and wait for it to kick in before I decide if I need the Norco as well. The pain is a sharp, stabbing pain in top of my big toe along with the incision site a little further down. It gets excruciating at times for a few seconds. Has anyone dealt with this or something similar? I’m sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include everything! Thanks, y’all!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mattie, I had both my feet operated on a few years ago. I found this site just before I had the op and some of the stories filled me with so much horror that I almost bottled have the operation. Everyone is different and it does depend ont he level of pain blocker that is administered to start with. I used to get some pain many weeks following the op. It is vital that you keep your feet up as much as possible as I know that the temptation to start doing 'stuff' is attractive but trust me you will pay the price. You have a had a big op so I believe that your foot will ease in time. It is early days and I was told that full recovery can take months so be patient. You will be fine but if you have concerns go back to the surgeon.

• Posted

Thanks, Hilly! I’ve been keeping it elevated, even at night. I’v started icing it again during the day as well (as the post op instructions told me only the first 72 hours). I just took another pain pill and Motrin because of the stabbing pain by my big toe. I guess I’m just a little worried since my doctor was expecting me to pretty much be off the pain pills by now.
  • Posted

Hi Mattie

No idea what type of drugs you are taking. However I do recognise the pain. Sharp, needle like pains, that take your breath away but don't last long,are usually nerves healing. I had them after BC surgery and my foot surgery.

This type of pain needs a painkiller that works on nerve pain. Or you just breath through it, mine came in clusters which were quite short.

Don't forget it's early days, rest and ice lots. The recovery time can be up to a year.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you, Kim! I’ve been elevating it pretty much 24/7 and am trying to rely less on the pain pills (hydrocodone + acetaminophen). I’m still taking the Motrin as well. How long should I expect the nerves to take repairing themselves?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.