Still having pain when walking after supposed 'recovery' from fracture?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke the middle three metatarsal bones in my right foot over 7 weeks ago, and a few days ago the doctor gave me the all-clear to start walking in normal shoes rather than with the moon boot and crutches. However, I'm still limping when I try to walk normally in shoes even though it didn't hurt to bear weight in the boot. I can stand with my foot flat on the floor but when I try to roll forward on the ball of my foot (like in a normal heel-toe walking gait) my joints ache like nothing else, especially along the outer side of my foot where the 5th metatarsal is even though that one wasn't fractured. I've been walking flat-footed on my right side as a result, and it's straining my hip and back.

I wasn't referred for physio because the orthopedic doctor said I had a good range of movement in my ankle, even though my toes are still extremely weak and stiff. They also didn't do any X-rays or scans when I went in for my check-up - just prodded my foot about to see if I still had pain in the fracture site and said it seemed to be healed because it didn't hurt. They acted like I'd be able to hop and skip my way out of the hospital but it seems like now my foot hurts everywhere *except* where I broke it! It's tempting to just go back to using the boot, but I know I'll never fully recover if I don't try and wean myself out of it. It's hard to know what's just a normal part of healing and what could be doing more damage, since you seem to read stories about people who seem to be back doing sports almost as soon as the cast is off and others who never walk without pain again! Do you think I should phone up the fracture clinic and ask for a second opinion?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So basically for 7 weeks you haven't used several muscles and tendons as your foot healed in the boot.  Your motion was limited and now it is not.  Think what it's like when you use muscles you haven't used in a while (like if you do 50 squats and you normally do zero) yes there is discomfort, perhaps pain.  I would take it a little easy for a few days, but give these unused parts get back in the swing of things.  At least a week, maybe two, unless the pain worsens.  If it hasn't significantly improved in that time, then I would go in for a second opinion.  Good luck.

• Posted

I would go and see a doctor and tell them what it feels like and ask to be sent for an X-ray. If you go I would ask them if you could wear the moon boot occasionally and gradually stop wearing it that could be a better option than just stopping altogether and then you would get used to it slowly but less painfully. Good luck 
  • Posted

I have had quite a few fractured metasals. What you are experiencing is normal. If they x rayed it would only show callus formation. It can take up to a year for a fracture to completely remodel  ( not be seen on X-ray) but you should be able to get back to whatever is normal for you . In my case dancing. By applying pressure if there is no or minimal pain it shows healing. 

I did have to be careful with foot wear for a while. Cycling shoes are the most comfortable as they have a rigid sole but allow ankle movement. Or trainers of course. There are also simple exercises online that will help. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.