Still having Prostate Issues

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am still having pain in my groin area and a weak stream. If I urinate I will have to go again in about 15 minutes. I am 47 and not to keen on having a PSA test. I went in 4 months ago to see my Urologist and she took a sample and felt my prostate. The results showed no infection, but after being on Cipro for three weeks I did feel a lot better but not completely. Symptoms are still there but not as bad as before. She will probably want me to have a PSA test. I had one done at age 43 and it was .33, but I didn't know I was being tested for PSA my doctor didn't tell me. I don't want to open Pandora's box and make things worse, so I really don't want a PSA test. I am looking for a better more accurate test and have heard about PCA3 and some other tests that seem more accurate, but my Urologist hasn't mentioned them. I am scared that if my PSA is high I will have to have a biopsy and knowing my medical issues that I have it could easily cause me more harm than good. I need alternatives to convensional testing. Is it possible if one has a high PSA to go to get a 3T MRI before getting a biopsy? You know, in order to see if there is something there to biopsy in the first place. I didn't mention this , but I will now. When my Uro did the DRE it was very painful. I actually yelled in pain. I didn't expect it nor did she. I really hate going in for things like this. I just want to get better and have no bad side effects from treatment. Doesn't everyone?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's just a blood test it won't open a Pandora's box - unless PSA is very very high they won't ask you to get a biopsy. Tip - abstain from sex for a few days at least before the PSA test and it will be lower. I don't know why but that seems to be true.

• Posted

Yea, seems to be the case. I am having trouble functioning that way so shouldn't be a problem. I am jumping the gun a bit and assuming that with the symptoms I have it will be high. It might not be. I will deal with that if it happens.

• Posted

I don't get why you are so oposed to PSA testing. It isn't a precise measure, but Urologists know that. Why anyone would not want to know if they have cancer that is usually highly treatable is beyond me! It's cancer that might be described as Pandora's Box, not the tools that can detect it!

• Posted

Take the test, you have to know where you stand. A higher number doesn't mean cancer and you can live a long time without the prostrate. Sex isnt everything!

• Posted

Craig, in his book: Cancer Free, by Bill Henderson, he states that if you do a biopsy, you may want to try Trans-Rectal Ultra Sound.  It is not as invasive as a regular biopsy, where the uro, would use a needle to take samples of your prostate. The information, is on page 224.  Trans-Rectal Utra Sound, is available in all medium to large cities. It is supposed to be more accurate than the biopsy, using a needle.  There is another book:  Cure your prostate cancer in 90 days, by Larry Clapp.  That was really interesting to read.  Mr. Clapp, died maybe 5 years ago. I don't know what the cause of deathh was.

• Posted

You may have a bad case of prostatitis/chronic inflammation, which can cause all of the symptoms you describe. Only a small percentage is bacterial, and the routine urine test they do in some uro offices sometimes do not detect it. Finding the cause can be problematic and it seems most doctors start with a course of Cipro...just because.

I have struggled with this for several years, taken 3 different alpha blockers (Flomax, Rapaflo, etc), two different antibiotics and Finasteride (over the years).

Of those, the only thing that helped was Finasteride, but after 4 months, the side effects were too much. However, after going off the Finasteride, I still felt much better. A common statement/description of men with this or BPH is that sitting on a hard object feels like you are sitting on a golf ball. After the Finasteride, this feeling has not returned.

I also found some articles on how caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods can aggravate this condition. I don't eat much spicy food, so I cut out caffeine and alcohol and the urgency/frequency issues have gone away.  I went from having to urinate every 90 minutes when awake to a more normal 3 to 4 hour+ interval (depending on hydration and exercise).  The only symptoms I still have are the slow start and weak stream, but overall - I am feeling much better today than in the past 5 years.

As for the MRI question - absolutely! Find an interventional radiologist that specializes in prostates (there are several in the country) - the one I use is Dr Joe Busch in Chattanooga, TN. I am currently on active surveillance for a single Gleason 6 lesion that was discovered by MRI 3 years ago. I would never have the TRUS (blind) biopsy. My lesion is only 10mm in length and the doctors that have seen my MRIs stated the odds of one of the cores in a TRUS hitting it were less than 1 in 500. I had a MRI guided biopsy, which was 7 cores - 3 in the suspect area, two each in the left and right lobes. Only the 3 in the suspect area came back positive.

I don't worry about the PCa - the protocol I follow monitors it closely and it has not changed in 3 years. The prostatitis has been a challenge for me and the doctors I've been seeing - now on my fifth urologist. The one thing I've learned is patience and doing my own research has helped me more than the normal course of treatments most urologists recommend.

Good luck - a lot of us struggle with this condition...you are not alone.

• Posted

Tim check out the side effects of finisteride (proscor as well as propecia).. This concentrated level of finisteride can cause decrease in libido while on it as well as potential for life time issues with erectile dysfunction even after stopping the drug.

Drs claim that finisteride does work in calming the prostate too which I also believe but Drs also state that Saw Palmetto does not have success with the prostate. I have never taken this drug but have used Saw Palmetto, the herb that is used to extract the element Finisteride . I have used Saw Palmetto and it does help. It may take longer since its not consentrated. It may or may not have side effects and it's not controlled like pharmaceuticals are. I had prostate probs in my 30s and now again in my 50s. I did suffer a slow decline in erection capabilities as well as a huge decline in testosterone to the point of being below a 70 year old when I was 45. I don't smoke drink alcohol and I work out and play a high level of hockey. Looking at me youd say I'm very fit. Lack of strength in erections is not fun at any age.. I would not trust finisteride .. But am I using saw Palmetto again for a short time with current prostate issue... Libido is low

• Posted

Thank you for the constructive feedback. It sounds like a good plan to me.
    • Posted

The side effects are why I quit taking Finasteride, as mentioned in my original post. But stopping after 4 months, all side effects went away, but the benefits remained.
  • Posted

resisting PSA may lead to serios problems, if you ever are diagnosed in late stage with cancer, have PSA and freePSA and then if PSA above normal go for mp3TMRI, before you have biopsy, if needed and based on MRI results from a reputable MRI radiologist specializing in prostate MRI, you can have also PCA3, I had all the above in order as described and ended up, after biopsy, with Gleason 6, one core10%, glad it was found at this v.early stage considered v.low risk at this time, so no treatment required, just active surveillance, don't be afraid of PSA, but resist biopsy, before mp3TMRI 

• Posted

That is the way I would like it to be for me. I am trying to avoid going in for a biopsy to find out it was bph or Prostatitis all along. I wish to save my prostate from possible damage from the biopsy. I have heard of some with permanent damage from it. Thanks for the advice. I like and trust my urologist so I would hope she will do what is right for me.
  • Posted

Don't be scared to have the tests and possibly the bopsy you might need...I've had them all and some twice (PSA)..They're quick and there's minor pain.. I will be having a biopsy this Friday....The series of tests indicate that I probably have Stage Two prostate cancer and I have a Obstructed Urethra that prevents me from urinating which will require a RESUM or TURP treatment to correct/improve...The biopsy will determine almost certainly that I either have cancer, starting to develop cancer, and/or shouldn't have cancer..There are Gleason, PIN, ASAP, PIA, etc. scores/grades that are determined by the combination of biopsy, cytoscopy, ultra sound, etc. information to be as definitive as possible that you have cancer, its size, location, and development stage....The 3T MRI is normally performed once it's determined that you have cancer...The MRI will show where the cancer has spread.....I have a 3.9 PSA and a 29.9cm size prostate....Normally, those are too low and too small to indicate cancer, but I have a discolored and abnormal shape prostate that indicates something is happening...Thus, a biopsy is the next step recommended by prostate experts...

• Posted

Hi. You must have the PSA test. Note that I did have both a TRUS and needle biopsy done 20 years ago when 'sedated' (i.e. I woke up hours later). This showed nothing much but wasn't painful. Before my Holmium later reduction 2 years ago my urologist just did a TRUS there and then at my first consultation after my GP found my prostate enlarged. It took 10 minutes on the couch and not uncomfortable. From this he was able to measure my prostate size and shape. My PSA was below 5 so I guess cancer wasn't suspected. No biopsy was suggested and I went straight for the Holmium later reduction which went perfectly and examination of the stuff removed showed no cancer. Has your GP done a finger check? My GP found my prostate irregular and suspicios hence the urologist referral.

• Posted

I am not so scared of the ultrasound and figure it would be more of an irritation than painful test, but when you stab needles through the rectum into your prostate damage does happen. If cancer is suspected then I will, but trying not to. Thanks for the response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.