Still having symptoms after ear infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Everything started when I was driving one day and got very dizzy and nauseous, I pulled over got out and noticed from my anxiety my hands started cramping as well, I somehow called my husband and he called an ambulance that took me to the ER. They did every test you could imagine except check my ears. I felt a little run down after that but it eventually seemed to go away. Fast forward a week I got dizzy again driving luckily my husband was with me, we went to the urgent care and they checked my ears telling me they were red and inflamed and my right ear had a lot of wax. They said the infection must be throwing my balance off along with all the sinus pressure. They gave me a zpac, pregnizone and meclizine for the nausea. A week later not feeling really that much better I went back to them and the infection wasn’t gone so they gave me a stronger antibiotic and a steroid shot, I was going on my honeymoon so I really wanted this to help while I was away. For the most part it did but there were times I still felt off and kind of off balance. After my trip I scheduled an ENT visit. He cleaned out my right ear said he no longer saw redness and that my ears looked ok, did audiology tests on my ears they said the results show my ears in the normal ranges for hearing and that it didn’t show me having fluid in my ears. As for the off balance he said that would work it self out in time and I should use Flonase for a couple of weeks for the sinus pressure. My ear still feels full and the off balance thing comes and goes and is making me feel nauseous at times. Is this normal? Should I be concerned with the full ear? I am just frustrated and would like to feel normal again. Any suggestions that could help would be awesome thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow sounds just like me and ent put me on flonase as well. Seemed to really help me after a few weeks..tried getting off of the flonase and got dizzy again so got back on it. Took it for another couple weeks then started on a natural spray. All seems to be okay..ear occassionally still stops up a bit at times due to ETD I was diagnosed with but overall I seem to be much better..hope this helps..look up ETD and do the excercises..they really helped me as well..
    • Posted

Thank you Terrie, that makes me feel better knowing there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. I have really bad sinuses so I feel I will have to do the nasal spray and sinus decongestant everyday here on out to stop this from happening again. Never used to have this problem with my ears and the pressure but I guess that’s what happens when you get older.
    • Posted

Yep, right there with ya. I never had any health issues with my head until lately. Now I have acid reflux, ETD, enlarged lingual tonsils, tinnitis, and now ridges in my skull. And that's just my head..unreal what happens with age..Guess we just have ro keep on keeping on..smile my ENT when I asked him how long on the flonase said..Forever! But I swear I'm putting on weight, so trying a spray called xlear. It's natural..but may have to go back to Flonase when I start the dizzies again. Can't stand that horrible feeling in my head..

• Posted

Yeah I hate not feeling like myself, I am looking forward to it going down some. I just miss feeling comfortable driving, I don’t like feeling like I’m helpless and have to have my husband or friends drive me places. I can deal with the sinus stuff but the off balance and dizziness is really scary stuff.
    • Posted

Terrie, I have been taking the Flonase and a Claritin D for my allergies/sinus issue for about a week and have been feeling better and without dizziness. Today I all of a sudden have hot/cold sweats and my head seems foggy again along with my ear being a little plugged and discomfort/pain on and off, not too bad but I know its there. Did you have anything like that happen to you in the process of you getting better? I am worried I am getting sick or have an ear infection again somehow, just wanted to know what you went through so I can compare to know if I am just worrying too much or not. lol Thank you.
  • Posted

I have ear issues on my left. I was put on flonase as well while suffering with motion sixkness/dizziness while driving. Been on it a month and that sensation is gone. I do continue to have ear pain and fullness. Can't get my ear to pop. Do you have swelling under your ear?

• Posted

Yep Kathleen, same here. The strange unbalanced sensations are gone, yet I still occasionally get the ear fullness. This is when I do the nose excercises. Seems to help relieve the pressure. so I got off the Flonase for a while and went to the X Lear and it helps somewhat but it doesn't do the job that Flonase does. So I got off of both of them for like 3 days and all of a sudden that lightheadedness started coming back and like my eyes it's like my eyes can't focus right or something also so needless to say as of last night I got back on the Flonase. I just hope it doesn't really put weight on me. I am telling you the steroid makes me hungry and I know that seems so weird but it does. I know it's just a nose spray but do any of you girls that are taking this Flonase have you noticed that it makes you hungrier or that you were putting on a little weight?

• Posted

Not anymore but I used to. My ear isn’t as full as it used to be but will pop here and there when I yawn and swallow. Do you still have to take the Flonase or are you fine without it now? 
  • Posted

Hi Heather,  I had the same issues with being dizzy and getting sick.   It would hit out of the blue and turned out to be Menieres Disease.  I would be very tired after being dizzy, and would get very sick.  When driving it was hard to look left or right because I was so off balance.  End result is I lost most of my hearing over a period of years, first on one side then both.  I no longer have issues with being dizzy but lost about 80% - 90% of my hearing.  Good luck to you - check out Menieres online and see if it sounds the same......   Pete
    • Posted

Peter, how did they xk u 4 meneires? I had an ENG test. It came back good. So I was wo sering is that how you got ckd 4 it? I did a question are but didn't really answer correctly I don't think. The questions were too vague.

• Posted

My ENT did sound tests on me and said that they were in the normal ranges and I didn’t have any hearing loss so they didn’t lean towards Ménière’s but I will I have to see in time if it results to that. Sorry you have to deal with that, I have a few friends that have that as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.