Still healing...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all....almost 6 months after TLK replacement and feeling good. I am wondering, every couple of months, my left leg gives out. I am wondering, could this be my muscles are still healing??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure dawn220. I have a burning pain on the side of my right knee after 9 months and I was told it's the nerves getting their feeling back. My thigh muscles are getting weak. I think I need to use the recumbent bike, but I dont want to. Lol. Does the knee give out or the leg? Probably you need to walk more to strengthen those muscles. Or ride a bike. Just my opinion based on my own self.

• Posted

sounds like this could be the problem pt never can stop your muscles have to get stronger and be maintained
  • Posted

I am also 6 mths after op and yes my leg sometimes gives way , still aches , mind you my r knee that was done about 7 years ago has been hrmurting too! Walked about4 km this morning with dog and walking okay but feel a bit stilted . I think it is normal , But never the same , as I said my first one still can feel odd at times , think new one has better  prosthesis , just because techniques have improved . Just keep going it will strengthen  
  • Posted

Hi, I'm just past 5 months (21 weeks BTKR) and in the beginning my weaker leg (right knee) would give out. I continued to use a cane because of it. As I progressed with PT and now I go to my own gym three times a week, my legs are getting stronger and I hardly buckle anymore. I think it's your muscles. You can't stop doing exercises! That's what they say here on this forum. Even still, my knees are far from being what they should be. I struggle going up and down stairs without holding the railing. But I know if I continue to be diligent with exercise, they will be strong again. They say you must build endurance before strength. So I would encourage more intensive muscle strengthening. 

• Posted

5 months post TKR and yes sometimes my knee gives out...and I take it as a sign that I am overdoing it for the strength of the muscles.  It is important to keep building up the strength of the knee with exercise.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.