Still hurt years after broken ankle surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am so happy I found this. I shattered my ankle years ago. They put plates and screws in. Long story short I was on crutches for 2 years and not one doctor could tell my why I was in so much pain I couldn't walk. FINALLY I found a doctor who could tell me and it was because the hardware collapsed. He took the metal out and I was able to walk on my own! But I still suffer a great deal of pain. The doctor who took my metal out said it was nerve pain. Surgery would be a gamble. Could make it worse. Could stay the same. Or it could get better. I deal with a lot of pain daily. I can't walk a long distance. I feel like no doctor wants to help me. I need some hope and direction.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I understand the doctors act like I am faking because the test show nothing. I had the same dr. from my accident in 1992 he just sent me to another dr. and said he couldn't do anything for me. The dr he sent me to the third visit he said your not as bad as you were. I said why do you say that, he said well your not crying this time. So I hope this really helps.

• Posted

Donna, I am so sorry to hear about this.   I think the lesson learned here is that we need to trust ourselves.  We do know our bodies best.   I have learned not to let others opinions bother me - feel guilty or like I am a lazy malingerer.   Of course, I have not been at this for 2 years.  

On the positive side, you have been validated.   I think finally there may be light at the end of the tunnel.  It sounds like this doctor knows his stuff.   One comment - I was having severe nerve pain and my doc prescribed Gabapentin.   It absolutely made me loopy, but I only took it for 2 weeks.   It seemed to reset my nerves and I am no longer suffering from that excrutiating pain.    I don't know if you have tried this, but it might be worth a shot before surgery.  

• Posted

I agree trust our bodies, I'm at 5 mos ORIF surgery, diagnosed with RSD. Severe nerve pain, instead of gabbapentin pills I have the cream I put at base of spine = no pain, no weird headiness.......it delivers directly down the legs too feet.  Hope this helps people out there, as most get pills, not the same results. Ask your Dr as it is a cmpounded prescription.hapoy healing to you.  
  • Edited

Hello dear Donna.

I'm post 9 months surgery. I too shattered my ankle with a dislocation. Long story short. I too am in pain with my ankle and foot, especially inner ankle bone where I have two screws. Not sure if this will help me or you but after having physio for over 6 months my physio has moved me on to another physio who practices chronic physio. Well I went and told her everything and I asked her why my foot hurt so much at times. This physio has told me that my problems are the muscles. She pressed along ripples which I thought was the metal and she told me I have ripples in my muscles and this connects to that and she did show me on a wall diagram. She showed me where one muscle starts and where it runs and that is where I get the pain. I thought I was getting arthritis in my foot and it's the muscles !! She began massage and she could feel exactly where it was giving me grief. I have to massage my foot and ankle in warm water ( NO ICE) apply a little pressure and where it hurts I have to massage that point gently. I have to roll my foot in the water over a tennis ball/ golf ball. This muscle complaint is because the surgeon had to move and cut my muscle to apply the plates to the fibula and Tibia and 2 screws to inner ankle bone ! The muscles of course were pulled around in surgery and they haven't exactly gone back as they once were and they are screaming for TLC ! It all made sense to me because she understood the pain and where it was upon feeling my leg, ankle and foot. I actually feel relived that someone could tell me what's wrong ! I will do as she says and it's all going to take time but I'm hoping I get some relief in time. I hope you consider this Donna as it may be part of your problem too with all the surgery you had. Anything is worth a try. 🙂

• Posted

Do you have access to a swimming pool and/or jacuzzi? I am 8 weeks post op from a broken fibula malleolus. I only needed one screw to bolt it into place, no plates. So my situation is not as bad as yours by a longshot. I was feeling like I may never walk again until I managed to get down to the pool in my building a few days ago. It is daunting to think of going anywhere and figure out a plan to get in and out of the pool but I practice the incremental moves to get in and out before committing to the plunge and it was so eorth the effort. I used the heat from the jacuzzi to loosen up the muscles and joints for about 20 minutes and then walk in about 5 feet of water. It's amazing how much it is helping! I have only gone 2 times so far but have been able to walk and it feels so awesome. My depression is gone! I am hopeful! Out of the pool I was able to put all my weight on the injured ankle for about 1 second, and while it feels sore, it it's not impossible.

I wish I had known how much this would help a few weeks ago. As soon as you incision heals get into a pool.

I don't start Physical therapy for a few more days but I think this is the key to recovery. Aqua therapy. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.