Still in lots of pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i been out of surgery for almost 2 month with a total knee replacement. I am still not able to bend it feel wierd when i walk and try to bend. Is that normal. Well i went back to see my surgeon today and he said he wants to manipulate it and then 2 weeks straight with PT. I don't know what to do know. I have more surgeries than i know what to do. Any help would be helpful or thing that works for others would be great to.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike.  I'm in the same boat.  I am 9 weeks post op and 90 degree bend.  I have an appointment with my Dr on Tuesday & we have to discuss that as well.  I am going to try and do what I can on my own with PT and I have gotten advice on this website to massage the area daily to help break up scar tissue.  What is your bend at right now?
  • Posted

Hi Mike!

Welcome to the forum!

There are MANY differing viewpoints on how aggressive to be in getting a "good" bend.

Something else to consider is leg straightening. I have been working on the bend but even harder on getting my legs STRAIGHT. I had my first TKR last June and my second knee TKR done last October. As my legs got straighter, my stride increased, AND I began walking more normally.

Working on my BEND has helped me get into the car easier, climb into restaurant booths that have those annoying support legs that jut out, and also get in and out of chairs and couches that sit lower.

Both bend and straightening are important.

For me, stretching throughout the day and even in bed throughout the night really helps. I have found that the continued focus throughout the day has really helped me achieve success. The stretching and movement helps lessen stiffness and provides some pain management as well.

• Posted

Have u been going to pt regularly? It really helps. U have. To keep exercise sing it.
  • Posted

Hi Mike.

As Cheryl says extension is every bit as important as the bend. Your limp will go if you get the straight leg.

You must do your PT (I prefer to call it stretching) nearly every day, and everytime you think of it during the day give it a little flex.

I'm at 13 weeks.  Great bend, great extension, no limp unless I walk/sit for too long.  Still on painkillers, trouble sleeping and icing 4/5 times a day.

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.