Still in pain 3.5 weeks after shoulder MUA and arthoscopic adhesive capsulitis repair?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Everyday I think that when I wake up my shoulder will. E better, but in some ways it is worse than prior to the surgery. I cannot cross my arm across my body and my arm doesn't want to go above my head. My arm

Is in a lot of pain especially on the outside of the lower are near the elbow. My shoulder is incredibly tender to the touch. My Physio says that with what I have (adhesive capsulitis this is not unusual); I was so hoping that things would be better after the surgery. Anyone having similar experiences or have any advice? The whole shoulder is tight, tight, tight. My neck seems to be tightening up too.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mimimeee, what a nightmare for you.  I am waiting to have a MUA and have read a lot of positive comments following this type of procedure.  A lot of the comments said that the pain after MUA can often be worse that prior to the procedure, however the range of movement obtained is much better than before it.  Keep putting something cold on your shoulder such as frozen peas to help with the pain, and before doing your exercises a warm shower often helps.  Also, try to make sure you are taking your analgesics to help you cope with the pain.  Let your Physio know that you feel your neck is tightening up, he or she may be able to help losen it up a little.  Good luck with your ongoing treatment, I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I will mention my neck to my physio and I confess I have been trying to pull back from the analgesics and perhaps too soon. I wish you the best with your MUA.

• Posted

My neck is totally messed up too! I thought I was just falling apart! It's reassuring that I'm not the only one! I cannot turn my head at all ! The issue has been added into my PT by my surgeon.

• Posted

Hi, I am 4 weeks today ... ouch ouch ouch...

I am really struggling with pain and therapy. My surgeon and therapist both give me a hard time for not taking the pain medicine and for not wearing the arm sling. I am constantly reminded that this is a process. The goal is to keep the range of motion fluid that MUA accomplished. That is the beginning and the part we are now involved with. As pain and manual manipulation allow, exercises are started and eventually the strengthening will be phased in. Strengthening is the LAST concern at this point however. Be patient! This is a process.

All the best... Caryn

• Posted

Caryn,

Thank you; I will try to be more patient. Good luck to you to as you travel down this road to recovery.

Take care! Cathy

• Posted

I had capsular release 14 weeks ago and I'm still experiencing a lot of pain and waking at night! It got better for a while and then worse again, as I push hard to regain ROM. It really isn't a walk in the park unfortunately! But I went downhill skiing yesterday. I have to keep,plodding on to try to get back to normal. I was so tired I slept 10 hours afterwards!

• Posted

I am really getting that it is a process and that it is going to take time. Glad to hear you were able to ski and that you got a good night's sleep. That is huge! I pray you continue to improve and that good sleep comes your way more frequently. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Surprised you were told to wear a sling after mua. They had me wear one to sleep in for two weeks but wanted me to use it as much as possible during the day to keep range of motion going.
    • Posted

I'm at odds here my surgeon said worst thing to do is wear any sort of sling and get my arm moving asap only had my op 5 days ago and been told if I feel I don't need to take pain killers after 3-4 days then don't

• Posted

I had mua and while pain and rom improved right away I still needed to take meds for about three months especially before going for physical therapy. I did eventually get 99%range of motion back after about five months. Hang in there it will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing!! I am hanging in there.
  • Posted

I see this post is 11 months old, but am curious how you are doing now?  Do you still have pain and if not, when did it diminish?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.