Still in pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I had a scarf osteotomy on my bunion. I was issued with a heel bearing shoe and nothing else to help mobility. I am not in constant pain any more but I am still sitting all day with foot elevated.

When I move around my foot is very sore. I seem to have a day where I think mobility is in sight and then the next day really sore again. I think I am being pretty patient and being "good".

Luckily I have some crutches from a previous injury, but as I wasn't issued with any, are the medics really expecting that I should be able to get around without any help?

My pain is centred on the big toe being pulled upwards as the shoe is designed to tilt foot upwards. I also have very sharp pain if any pressure is put on the underside of the outside (little toe) part of my foot.

Should I be more mobile \in less pain by now??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I'm currently about 7 weeks post op from a chevron MIS on my bunion.

It took me 2 weeks to walk in my wedge shoe! I also got sent home without any crutches. I thought it was terrible. Anyway, unfortunately, my bandage had been wrapped too tight and every time I tried to walk I'd get intense pins and needles all across my foot. It was not hopeful at all and I was so frustrated and worried I'd never walk on my foot ever again until that was the day after I got my bandages removed after 2 weeks and the next day I was whizzing around the house in my wedge shoe. I experienced pain in my little toe but it was the bandages were too tight gave me terrible pain on the underside of my foot too. What a relief when the bandages come off ??.

I feel that I get some discomfort from my big toe being pulled up due to the shoe when I walk around too.

Do u still have bandages on? Are u in the UK?

At week 3 I just remember the intense burning sensations in my big toe I used to get. It was awful but was intermittent and maybe lasted a week.

At 6 weeks I had an x ray and told to wear the shoe 3 more weeks!!! One bone hadn't fused back so going to have another x ray in a couple of weeks. I'm so fed up of the shoe though!!

Gillian

• Posted

So 6 weeks after surgery I now know what the extra pain was - I have a piece of wire 2-3" long left in my foot! Have to go back next week for an OP to remove it. Another week lost and immobile!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.