Still in pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies now 5 weeks post op and struggling. I felt better and think I've overdone it, did some cooking and washing(although no heavy lifting) . I've had terrible pain since and have spent the last 3 days lying down. Still feel very swollen and get a dragging feeling if I stand up so spending all my time lying in bed or on the sofa. Any of you other ladies had the same thing. Many thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What surgery did you have ? 

When I had posterior and perineum repair I got dragging feeling if I did too much.  It's your body's way of saying slow down.  I turned a corner at 7-8 weeks post op and started to feel normal .  I continued to not lift heavy or push a pram or shopping trolley until I hit the 12 weeks mark and after that for a while I was very careful lifting as I've heard internal tissues can take a good 6-12 months to fully heal inside. 

Not all surgeons explain the full extent of healing to us. 

Try not to worry and rest up as much as you can .  The more you start doing the more everyone things your back to normal . 

• Posted

Forgot to add maybe take some ibuprofen to help with the swelling . 
    • Posted

Thanks my family do seem to expect me to do too much time to be a bit selfish I think👍

• Posted

Anterior repair for a prolapse bladder. I was told after surgery I'll have to go back for a hysterectomy because things were worse than they anticipated-something to look forward to😩

• Posted

Well I had the posterior repair and I need a cystocele repair now. Just wish everything had been done in one go 😕

• Posted

Hi Debra think everyone is the same in the 5-7 week mark I certainly was. You seem to take a step backwards at this point and convince yourself op has failed. If any conciliation it's about the 12 week mark before most start to feel anything resembling normal. I'm 8 months post op and just got my check up today. I'd convinced myself at least 3 times it had failed but doctor said everything was looking good and well supported. Best advice I can give you? Don't look lol x

• Posted

I agree you do feel like you've taken a step backwards, I sailed through the first 2 weeks. I was expecting to return to work at 12 weeks but as i work a 10 hour shift which involves a lot of lifting I think I'll be postponing my return for a while longer

• Posted

Hi Debra.

I had a same feeling at 6 weeks post op and laid down for a couple of days. We tend to overdo when we feel better after had a hard time. Then step back again...

I'm 13 weeks now. Still have good days and bad days.

As you mentioned, you better to stay at home bit longer especially if your work involved liftings.

I was supposed to get back to work yesterday but postponed for 2 weeks even I do only desk work.

• Posted

Hi Debra I got hit at about 5 weeks as well, as  I decided after my adult son had cleaned the pantry that I could sit on a little stool and wipe the bottom shelves which he had missed. All I felt that I did was move my arms around abit, Was not worth it, really sore for several days. Interestingly I think its around the 5 week time ?? that the nerve endings start to repair as I had a terrible pinching stabbing feeling going on for several days . I liken the feeling to having someone clamp your tender bits and poke you with pins. Sorry to any ladies reading this that are going to embark on surgery it affects us in different ways and I was able to lessen the discomfort with pain killers. It is still very very worth the discomfort to have the end results. Hope you are feeling better soon Debra this time will pass regards Kath
  • Posted

It's really difficult not done no anything isn't it. Drove me mad! You don't want to impose on people and you want things done 'just so' and sometimes because you don't look ill people forget that you've had a pretty big operation. Don't be frightened to ask for help or leave job bs to others to do. Rest is the most important healer. I'm 9 weeks post op, supposed to be going back to my job as a paramedic next week (3x12 hr shifts) but planning on at least another 2 weeks off and then a phased return with light duties. Thought I could do it but by reading people's experiences on here I realise I'd be silly to try.

• Posted

I'm trying to close my eyes to the mess lol , I intend to stay off work until I'm ready because I'm a nurse and there won't be any light duties when I return, I'm going to try and see my surgeon before I go back because I know I've got to have more surgery so I'm going to make sure I know what I can and can't do

• Posted

Hi Debra, Sorry you've not been feeling son good. It does sound like you've tried to do too much too soon. We've all made the same mistakes so you are not alone. But a lesson to be learned here is 'Please listen to your body'.   As soon as you start to feel tired please sit down put your feet up and take a rest. I had a posterior and anterior repair done three years ago at the age of young age of 69 ha ha! I can look back now and identify with you. Do be patient and do as you've been told. Take it steady and you'll get a good result, as I have done. I have no regrets and am I am delighted with the results. Love LadyPink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.