Still in pain after 5 months out from surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had ORIF w/lateral malleolus surgery done on November 11, 2016. I still limp and am in some pain 5 months later. I can't walk right and it doesn't "feel" normal either. I know that I am expected to have pain for a bit but this is getting kind of irritating. I have been released by my Dr since there isn't anything else he can do. I wasn't sent to PT because I don't have insurance. BTW I am 55 years old and know I probably will heal slowly too. I am just looking for anyone who can tell me if this  is normal or not. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Crystal,

?Sorry to hear you are in pain. I had surgery after I broke my ankle last October. I still have some pain and also limp a little. It's been over six months so I'm still waiting and hoping to be back to 'normal'! However I'm noticing small improvements all the time, it's just a bit slower than expected. I've been doing regular physiotherapy. There's a lot of exercises you can get access to on the internet, usually gentle stretching to begin with. Swimming is also usually recommended..All the best!

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I will be swimming soo since we finally got our pool ready for summer. I sure hope things will get as close to normal as they can for you too.
  • Edited

Hi Crystal,

I'm 2 months post surgery and just now barely weight bearing.

My doc said to look at 12 months before being completely back to normal.

It overwhelms me to think of that so I just look at the little victories and try not to get too down in the painful days.

There are several conversations going in this forum. You'll see all the different stages of healing and hope.

It can really lift your spirits. You are not alone.

Lots of us here to listen.

Wishing you the best,

Karen

• Edited

Thank you for your reply. I am trying not to get depressed bit it is hard when I feel like I am a burden. I am trying my best to be positive.
  • Edited

Not sure what ORIF is but I had a navicular bone removed from my foot on dec 28th and it involved tendons being reattached. It is 17 weeks for me and i still hurt 98% of the time and I do limp a little also. I am 58 and dr told me a year for complete recovery as our feet are the furtest from our heart and the circulation is so slow in our feet. I know it is frustrating as I get frustrated too and just want to feel normal again. This site has helped me alot in just knowing I am not alone. Try to take it easy and I do think that it is all very normal. I did PT for 6 weeks and I honestly thought it was a waste of thime and money. Everything that they didĀ 
    • Edited

Thank you for your reply. ORIF is "Open Reduction Internal Fixation", he also did a Lateral Malleolus procedure on my ankle. It was a complicated procedure. I hope your recovery will be improving day to day too. Yes I just found this forum and was hoping for some feedback to know if this is normal or not. Again thank you

• Edited

Hi Crysral,

I fractured two bones on my left ankle on 30 Nov 2016. The ORIF was carried out on the following day. There are plate and 6 screws on outside and 2 screws on the inside. Cast was removed after 40 days, allowed FWB right away. I had never been given a boot to ware. I wish I had. for the first 4 weeks of FWB green light given by the doctor, my life was not much different from NWB, except didn't need to cover my foot while taking shower. I was still on two crutches. the injury foot only pretend to do something. Only after 5-6 physio sessions, my injury foot began to wake up. 

I am on the end of 5th months after my ankle surgery. I am able to walk more than a mile unaided now, but very slow and will suffer a lot of pain after that. I am 54 yo woman, slim build. I was very active before the injury. I do hiking, rock climbing, distant running. It is very frustrating that I can only walk for a short time on 3km per hour speed.

I heard that you will be walk pretty well after 6 months. But I am getting all the hardware removed in two months of time. Hope the pain will be reduced or disappeared after the surgery.

I was told by the Doctor that I will be able to run again after 12 months, before I had surgery. I guess we just have to have the faith, hope the normal day will reture sooner rather than later.

Hope you are getting better quicker.

Helen

• Edited

thank you for your reply. My hardware, plate and screws are perment and won't be removed unless I have a reaction. I hope all goes well with you. I was told by my Dr that I should be "back to normal" in 6 to 12 months. Hope so

• Edited

Hello

This is complicated surgery.

My ORIF for broken fibula and tibia (plates and screws still in) was January 2016.

A life changer for me

I am 69 and still suffer stiffness, pain and now limping again. I cannot walk barefoot and use platforms. I was a walker and the injury has curtailed that activity sadly.

I do find the application of KT TAPE incredibly supportive at times of foot weakness

I am now considering removal of the inside screws as these feel the most tight. Consultant said he would also do an arthroscopic debridement to clean up any debris!!

I think there are no set pathways for this injury and recover is subjective but this forum is certainly very supportive

I wish you well

• Posted

Hoping you still check this from 3 yrs ago?

How did your recovery go after 5 month mark

That is where I am at after kneecap ORIF surgery

• Posted

Hoping you still check this from 3 yrs ago?

How did your recovery go after 5 month mark

That is where I am at after kneecap ORIF surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.