Still in pain after Achilles surgery

Posted , 44 users are following.

I had Achilles reconstruction surgery back on December 20, 2016. I'm still in pain almost 5 months later.

I'll give a little history. I started having heel pain in January 2016. Doctor told me I had tendonitis. I started with physical therapy and it unfortunately did not help. I wore a boot for 6 weeks (actually ended up being 3 months cause the Dr. told me to keep wearing it) and that didn't help either. Dr. referred me to another Dr. who does tenex procedure. I had that on August 8. While I was in therapy I ended up tearing my tendon. The Dr. referred me to a surgeon and that's when I decided on the surgery.

I was feeling great after the surgery (other than the pain that came along with it) I had my foot in a bandaged cast for 2 weeks. On New Year's Day I ended up losing my footing on crutches after a shower ( I only used crutches for showers, I had a scooter) and ended up landing on my foot and falling. I called the nurse the following day and she asked questions and said it didn't sound like I did damage. I was sore for a few days and then it seemed ok. I got my stitches out and was put in a plaster cast for 4 weeks. Most of the issue was swelling and soreness. After my cast came off I was put in a boot and told to do PT right away. I didn't get an appointment for almost 2 weeks later. I did non weight bearing exercises for a couple of weeks. My foot was so swollen I couldn't fit in my sneaker. I also couldn't walk without the use of crutches. When I could finally fit my foot in my sneaker I started weight bearing exercises and started walking without crutches about 2 weeks later. I did 8 weeks of therapy and the pain just kept getting worse. I have pain in my heel and I have pain in the tendon. It feels as it did before I had the surgery. I went back to my part time job over a month ago and went back to my full time job 2 weeks ago. Both jobs I'm on my feet. By the end of the day my foot is so swollen and bruised and I get sharp pains in my heel and in the tendon. I've been working shorter shifts and it still doesn't help. I put inserts in my shoes for heel and arch support and it helped at first withi not as much pain but I'm back to the bad pain. I've been in tears it hurts so badly. The Dr said to come back in 3 months if I'm still in pain when I went to my 3 month appointment. I'm just curious if anyone else has similar pains and symptoms. I was told I would have swelling for up to a year but I wasn't told I'd have sharp pains. I'm hoping I didn't tear it again.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy et al,

I had surgery almost 6 months ago (Achilles reinserted) and as of today I'm dealing with pain. I've been looking for quite sometime to benchmark with others in a similar situation and find out when I can expect the pain to completely go away. My Dr said that after 3 months I could start strength training since my injured leg is really weak but none a single day has passed since surgery that I'm not in pain. I take at least 15 minutes each morning doing stretching but that does not seem to make a big difference.

Based on what I have read here and other websites it can take more than 6 months in order for a patient o be "Pain free".

• Posted

Can you stand on the toes of your operated foot? If not, you might want to get a 2nd opinion along with a new MRI. I went a whole year after surgery in pain, walking and exercising in agony. New surgeon pegged the problem at my first evaluation, and new MRI confirmed his suspicions, that the Achilles was again pulled away from the bone, was still ruptured, and the hardware the 1st surgeon used was just hanging off the tendon. Yesterday was 3 months since the new surgery, very strict and lengthy regimen for recovery and PT, and I am on day 92 in a CAM boot. However, my heel finally feels good! I get the boot off in four days!!!! I am walking on the foot with no pain for the first time in over a year and a half. Still some ankle stiffness and gait training to do once the boot is off, but what a difference from a year ago. New surgeon said that complete recovery can take a full year after a re-do surgery, so where I am after three months thrills me! 

• Posted

Thank you for responding.  No, I can't stand on my toes.  The pain is 24/7.  Since my last post I've gone for a second and third opinion.  It appears the tendon has thickened.  The second opinion doctor wanted to do more surgery and I declined.  The third doctor recommended Amniotic Tissue Injections. I think I'm going to try this before I consider surgery.  My insurance will cover it so it's worth the try.

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I can stand on toes on my injured leg with little pain, I stretch 10 minutes every morning and started doing some light running / walking. I'm indeed looking to be completely pain free but I guess patience is key here...

• Posted

I will be two yrs out from Achilles rupture and bone spur removal in August and I’m still not totally pain free. I am VERY restricted as to what shoes I can wear, even to the extent of one brand of athletic shoe and one model within that brand!  I still have pain every day!  Stretching will help it sometimes but it never has completely gone away!  I cannot get up on my toes on that foot at all!  Tiptoeing is forever out for me! Hope you get some relief soon!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, it's been a couple of months since you said you were going to try the amniotic tissue injections. I am wondering, did you get them, and if so, have they been of any help?    

• Posted

I had the shot of Interfyl on May 31st.  The doctor numbed the area and then gave me several injections all around my ankle.  I was put me back in a boot and non-weight bearing for two weeks.  I went for a follow-up appointment on June 14th and had NO PAIN!!!  Insurance wouldn't cover the shot since its considered experimental so it cost me $800 but with no pain it was worth it.  Still in a boot until June 20th just to keep the area safe but I'm not complaining.

• Posted

Elaine, that is awesome! So happy for you. I hope you are still pain-free.

• Posted

I had ruptured Achilles Tendon  Jan 5.  surgery Jan 19.  I am still in a lot of pain as I work.

• Posted

I feel your pain rolleyes  April 21st was a year that I had my surgery. Hope yours get better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Cindy my name is Katherine. I had Achilles Tendon surgery December 28,2018. I had a soft cast after surgery. I came home with the nerve block catheter inserted in my thigh and medicine bag which I removed after 1st day at home. My sutures were removed 2 weeks afterwards. I was placed in a hard cast for 4 weeks and on a scooter all this time. I was miserable. Vicodin made me sick so I just took motri or alieve. The pain was not bad after surgety. Then I was placed in a boot for another 6 weeks still on scooter. Cindy I started weight bearing still in boot. I was miserable in cast and boot. After awhile. I started therapy. This is where I started really hurting and has progressively gotten worst over the weeks. My incision is so tender. My ankle and heel no e is so tender. Pain is so severe I cry all the times. I have massaged my incision ankle and heel so much to ease pain. My ankle gets stiff. I think therapy injured my ankle and foot more. I can't see where it helped me at all. I have gone back to doctor several times. It's useless. The last time I told him I was having all types of pain sharp stabbing jerking burning aching at the site. I asked could it be nerve pain. He put me on neurotin It helped for awhile. Now it doesn't help. I am so disgusted. I hate I ever had the surgery. My pain is worst now than before the surgery. I walk with a limp. My foot and ankle stays swollen. I can't wear my shoes. I am so depressed. I am experiencing the same as you. I know of another lady who is having the same problems. If you find out any remedies to help. Please let me know. Katherine

• Posted

I pray a lot and there are a lot of people that are  Suffering more than me   And I have to keep working I have wife and a son that’s homeschooled only by God keep moving on.    I have some eggshell membrane organic it’s supposed to help with the tissue and bone taking it for about a week it seems to be helping and  comfrey.    I will pray for you 
    • Posted

Thank you Patrick for your prayers,i am in bed since 9pm, and now nearly 11pm and the pain is intense,have put ice on for swelling and elavated.Nothing seems to work.Thank you for your kind words.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.