still in pain after almost 7 months ankle surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, i fractured my ankle on July 6 2018. was at camp and was walking on a not well kept trail. slipped on a rock that had let go and fell backwards. long story short had surgery with 18 screws and 2 plates put in my ankle. time went on then about 5 weeks later got a boot. incision wasnt healing very well, had doctor follow up and he prescribed me nurse homecare every other day for 2 or so weeks. went for follow up Sept 20 and he addmitted me right away, had irrigation surgery and tissue sample taken. results showed staph infection called mssa and put on 6 week antibiotics. Piccline was inserted at hospital. completed that Nov 2. End of story almost 7 months later have moderate pain, feels like my ankle is really cool temprature wise i mean. Went for a walk today with my dog and ankle was very painful. Would like to know if anyone else had had a similar situation. Bye the way breaking my ankle has been the most painful hard thing I have ever been through. So I came to this page with hope I am not alone at this point. Read alot of your stories over the last 7 months and very much agree and sympathize with your struggles. Sincerely.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

**I fractured tibia and fibula 14 months ago and still hurt and limp. my incision opened up after 6 weeks because of swelling the docs say. I had home health for 6 weeks to get the incision closed. I did pt in which was a joke and waste of money. the doctors act like they don't wanna c me anymore because they said my bone is healed. I don't believe I suppose to be this swollen and hurting. but it's been a long road for me. I was out of work 9 months.

• Posted

I am so sorry that you had such an awful time of it. You are definitely not alone...I agree that fracturing my ankle has been the hardest and most painful thing i have ever dealt with in all of my 48 years. I am still limping as well, and have also gotten Complex Regional Pain Syndrome from my surgeon severing nerves and tendons during my second surgery. So on top of all the pain and frustration my ankle causes, my foot and entire leg turn red/purple when i stand and I get crazy nerve pains all the way up to my hip. BUT! There is even more! Do to inactivity, I am just getting sicker and sicker and cant bounce back. The CRPS has affected my entire sympathetic nervous system. That regulates blood pressure, heart rate, the flight or fight response etc. All of mine are now all over the place. Sudden adult onset asthma, severe digestive issues. Its like breaking my ankle took my whole life. Who knew? It sounds like such a no big deal thing, right? The last 9 months have been the worst of my life and the best part is doctors think I am exagerating. I could understand that if I was looking for pain meds, but I have a medication phobia so i am definitely not looking for or asking for any. I just want my life back.

Anyway, just thought i would let you know that it is not just you. Bad ankle breaks seem to be life destroyers for some. Wishing you healing and happiness,

Jenn

• Posted

omg sorry to hear about all your medical problems, I have nerve damage but it is minor compared to yours. So many medical issues can come from such an invasive surgery like ours. And yes it is so difficult when we are not believed. I was lucky to have great care, wellexcept for the infection, that if got to my bones would have had possible amputation. Please dont give up the fight and please keep me posted on your recovery. I honestly hope you get the help you deserve.

• Posted

Hi,

Everyone on here has their own story to tell, from my experience the recover is the hardest and most painful, this part you are currently going through is a phase, no easy way through it, you have to be persistent, you have to push yourself through it, know when is enough and to rest with elevation and ice, then go again the next, its good you have the dog, like myself its a great reason to get out, measure your walk, slow and easy with a straight foot is important, excercises with lunges daily.

Good luck, your not alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.